Health/medical insurance

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by stevenf, Jun 17, 2008.

1. stevenf

stevenf LawnSite Bronze Member

Being a sole proprietor or LLC, do you get induvidual health benefits or would you just have to pay full price through an insurance agency?
    Are they offered lower priced being opened in the business name?

2. mngrassguy

mngrassguy LawnSite Silver Member

Talk to your insurance agent. I'm sure you have one.

3. stevenf

How do you guys handle this?

4. mngrassguy

mngrassguy LawnSite Silver Member

I just pick up my cell phone and call him.:dizzy::dizzy::dizzy:

5. stevenf

Im asking people if there are ways to tweak the system by insuring there families with extra benefits of being a sole pro. or LLC. Anyone else?

6. mowerman87

mowerman87 LawnSite Member

In regard to general liability insurance, what is a good premium? I've been shopping around recently and found a $1 million policy for $450 down and 9 payments of $79 per year. Is this a good deal? How is one supposed to know who to go with? I am getting liability so that I can get out of the residential-rat race. Commercial is honestly where the money is.

7. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

ehealthinasurance.com

8. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

so instead of doing $20 for tiny lots, youre gonna do $20/acre at factories? furthermore... you been mowing how long without liability insurance? do you even have liability on your truck or station wagon or whatever you use to haul your push mower around?

if you guys need cheap health insuarance... get a night job at taco bell.

9. mowerman87

mowerman87 LawnSite Member

I assure you that I am not mowing anything for $20. And when I say "liability" I am talking about business insurance that one must show proof of in order to bid on corporate or city jobs. And yes I do have auto insurance on my truck, but I really don't think I would feel comfortable working in a restaurant environment. I'd rather step up my business and start working for clients that can afford year round service- not factories but churches, schools, retail areas, government buildings, etc.

10. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

schools (if they dont do it themselves) are usually seasonal and often go for cheapest bid every year. churches often have volunteers at church or hire a member of church that mows. be careful about any government or public contract. theres usually a lot more paperwork involved. there is some commercial places that are willing to pay xtra for a nice looking place... but more often than not, especially with the economy down, they go for the guy with the lawn tractor in the back of the pick up cause hes the cheapest. theres a reason that we are 90% residential and 10% commercial still after a decade here in ar. im not saying not to do any... just deversify.

and as for biz liability... you need to have it even if youre just doing residential. never know when youre gonna hit a rock and put it through a window or someones head. then what? businesses are just smart enough to hire someone with insurance, unlike the average home owner.