Health medical insurance

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tpirobert, Dec 13, 2000.

1. tpirobert

tpirobert LawnSite Member

I know this topic has been covered and yes I did a search and got some info. I bring it up again in hopes that more will share their info. I am in process of looking for new policy for wife and myself. No other employer besides our business at this time, so all other options would be considered. Here are two groups for self-employed I found online http://www.nase.org/ and http://www.nfib.com/index.asp Any other ideas or resources?

2. LoneStarLawn

LoneStarLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

3. Nathan

Nathan LawnSite Member

I am lucky enough to have a wife working for a great company where I can get coverage. Does your state offer any programs?

4. Likestomow

Likestomow LawnSite Senior Member

Policies vary from state to state. A good broker will not only be able to shop for the lowest premium, but will also be able to explain the differences between companies and policies. He/she will get paid for thier service... rely on a professional.

5. Nathan

Nathan LawnSite Member

I am not too sure about brokers. I currently have a post up about finding liab. and prop. ins. I used a broker and it seems that the policies he came up with were not very competitive. Maybe I just have had bad luck but how could a broker offer a better price than an agent and still make money if he isn't actually working for the companies he is sending you to.

6. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

We have ours through Alfa. It's a BC policy and costs us $280.00 a month. The coverage is good, 80/20 but the deductables are 500 per person or 1500 per family. Prescriptions are 20 copay after you meet deductable. It was the best we could find after the Cobra ran out.

Homer

7. john boylan

john boylan LawnSite Member

Homer, is that policy available to your employees also? That's the best rate I've heard of in Alabama--BCBS apparently will set your business up direct at about $360 per month per employee family coverage, but you must have three full-time employees (one of which can be yourself). Not having employee health insurance available has kept me from getting/keeping some good people.

8. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

I don't know about employees. I am employee-less at the moment anyway. I never asked about that, I haven't got any plans to hire that many people. Keeping good help is a problem, I try to keep it small enough that it doesn't affect me if I'm soloing. I think an insurance package would be good but you have to generate a heap of dollars to provide that. I do good just to go out to eat every now and then.

Homer

9. Barkleymut

Barkleymut LawnSite Bronze Member

I spoke with a broker who told me I could get a group plan and that would be much cheaper than my wife and I having separate plans. So we made my wife an employee and now have to pay payroll taxes and all that crap. But anyways just the 2 of us and the baby and we have a group policy. $290/month. Really good comprehensive coverage.