1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Health/Medical insurance...

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Up North, Aug 4, 2004.

1. Up North

Up North LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MN

Would anyone care to share what they pay (or about what it costs) for health coverage? When I go full time next season it is possible I may have to purchase health insurance for my family if my wife doesn't go back to work, or if she goes back part time we may still have to buy some coverage. She is going to check around this afternoon to see what's available but I thought I'd check with you all and see what you do.

Also, do you include disability with your policy? Or is that usually a part of the coverage? Thanks guys.

2. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

$980. remember one thing though, if you are like most people, you are paying part of your health ins anyhow.when i was employed, i was paying $80 a week, or $340 per month(each month=4.25 weeks. ) so now, the difference is $640 per month. but, my payments are $980 per month
  3. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I pay $385 a month and that is just for me.
  4. smburgess

smburgess LawnSite Senior Member

bobbygeld - $980 a month!!!!!

Mine is $251.30 per month
    my wife's is 208.83 (she is also an officer of the company)

The entire monthly cost (company and employee) is $1585.60 which includes 2 family plans and 5 singles.

Great insurance too.
  5. bobbygedd

from NJ

yup, me, my wife, and 2 kids
  6. scottt

scottt LawnSite Senior Member

My cost is $125 a month for myself. It's not the best, but it's not bad either. My age doesn't hurt either, I'm only 23.
  7. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

I pay $700 for me/wife and 3 kids, and the insurance is nothing to boast about. I think we need to form a group. Course with the way the system is designed the prices will only keep going up. Anybody do anything with a Medical Savings Plan?

8. bobbygedd

from NJ

i looked into the medical savings plan, it's horse crap
  9. Up North

Up North LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MN

Bobby, I'm guessing your rate must be without a deductible or at least a low deductible???

My wife found a rate of $441 a month, that's for me, her, and our two boys. $1000 deductible per person, $1800 max out of pocket including the deductible per year, 80-20 coverage.

$500 deductible, same coverage was $587 a month. I guess these rates weren't as bad as I thought they would be.
  10. bbhlawn

bbhlawn LawnSite Member

Insurance has to be the biggest pain. I'm in the same boat as most are I guess when it comes to health insurance. I've been shopping around to about 10-12 companies and for my family (wife and 3 kids) I have gotten anywhere from $353-726.00 Of course it depends on the deductable and so on. I tried the NASE, but haven't heard many good things from the other guys here regarding them. So I'm a little reluctant to give them a try.

The problem with health insurance is unless your a lawyer and can understand all the fine print I think your only covered about half of what you think.

I'm still looking for some leads on the chamber of Commerce thing, but as of yet have had no luck. Any help on this topic would be great.