1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Health risks to organic lawncare

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by DeepGreenLawn, Jul 7, 2008.

1. DeepGreenLawn

DeepGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

First of all... I want to make sure that anyone reading this thread is agreeing to the fact that anyone making any posts on this thread is not liable for their statements.
  2. DeepGreenLawn

With the talk on other threads about some pathogens growing and pointing to health concerns I thought it would be good for us to address any known or possible issues that could come about due to improper organic practices.

Example is not properly composting chicken litter as it is suppose to reach a certain temperature for a said amount of time.

Or making a CT using the wrong base product.

If you could include the situation (ie. chicken litter not being composted correctly), the problem (pathogens in the litter will not be killed if not reaching the proper temperature for the proper amount of time), the concern (the said pathogens can then possibly be transmitted to crops produced), and how to prevent the situation (don't attempt to compost chicken litter on your own and check out any chicken litter you may come in contact to be sure it was processed correctly).

I thought this would be something good for any new perspectives into organics so they don't go out and ruin any lawns/ hurt any people.
  3. treegal1

treegal1 LawnSite Gold Member

lets get some facts out there then,

how many people get killed in cars, the answer i found was 165,000 in 07.

how many people get killed with falling coconuts, the answer i found was 376 in 06

Influenza/Pneumonia: 63,001
    Diabetes: 75,119

(AP) The official toll from salmonella-tainted tomatoes continues to rise: The government counted 756 confirmed illnesses Thursday
    At least 95 people have been hospitalized, the CDC said. No deaths have been attributed to the outbreak, although it may have contributed to a death due to cancer.

don't eat grass???
  4. DeepGreenLawn

I am not beating up on organics, you should know that, that is not the point of this thread.

I was just wanting to give people a heads up so they wouldn't just go out there and throw different things in a pile, think it was composted, spread it on a lawn and a 2 year old come and do just that.

Basically, I just wanted to let people know that there are certain ways of doing things to get the best product and to keep it safe.

Don't use rotten eggs... can make you sick, obviously, stuff like that.

Falling cocunuts? Wow, guess they are heavier than I thought, that would be a bad way to go.
  5. treegal1

raw manure will get you sick, maybe, we handle it all the time no illness or death yet, it does not go out to the field raw, but while its here. its raw. wash your hands????

winter time here(50s) the guys and phill take a nap on the large pile to stay warm, so with kids employees and me and phill that's 4-7 people in close contact with poo and no out breaks yet.

lets take a good one out of the hat, ROAD KILL

so you get a stinking pile of stink and run it in the wood chipper and it goes in the pile, say with leprocy, rabies, and the plague. just to say. so at the 145 degree mark the whole pile is pasteurized, ok the sides of the pile are still cold, so turn it or keep it in an insulated vessel.

i think whats needed is a commonsense transplant for the ones that could possibly make bad organic products, its nature, there no way that it can be that hard. if only people listened to there NOSE
  6. treegal1

The dangers of not washing your hands
    Despite the proven health benefits of hand washing, many people don't practice this habit as often as they should — even after using the toilet. Throughout the day you accumulate germs on your hands from a variety of sources, such as direct contact with people, contaminated surfaces, foods, even animals and animal waste. If you don't wash your hands frequently enough, you can infect yourself with these germs by touching your eyes, nose or mouth. And you can spread these germs to others by touching them or by touching surfaces that they also touch, such as doorknobs.

Infectious diseases that are commonly spread through hand-to-hand contact include the common cold, flu and several gastrointestinal disorders, such as infectious diarrhea. While most people will get over a cold, the flu can be much more serious. Some people with the flu, particularly older adults and people with chronic medical problems, can develop pneumonia. The combination of the flu and pneumonia, in fact, is the eighth-leading cause of death among Americans.

Inadequate hand hygiene also contributes to food-related illnesses, such as salmonella and E. coli infection. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), as many as 76 million Americans get a food-borne illness each year. Of these, about 5,000 die as a result of their illness. Others experience the annoying signs and symptoms of nausea, vomiting and diarrhea.
  7. DeepGreenLawn

THAT is exactly what I was looking for and wanted to get out there. To pateurize, neutralize any diseases or pathogens, the pile needs to reach at least 145 degrees Farenheit. Is there a time period that it needs to be at this temperature? Or once it gets to that point everything has reached its point of no return?
  8. treegal1

i don't know about the actual specs ,try the USDA or the composting council, they have the stats, we get it hot 145+ and turn the stuff almost weekly just to keep it in the range of 145-160, if we let it go to long 180 and a suicide of the herd
  9. DeepGreenLawn

I will see what I can find.
  10. DeepGreenLawn

OK, pathogens will die above 140 degrees F from 5 - 60 minutes but is recommended to keep these temps for a minimum of 3 days with turning of pile to assure all pathogens are taken care of.