health/safety first?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Mar 14, 2004.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

i'll be buying another hedge trimmer. i will not buy the standard trimmers, because the exhaust is right in your face, instead, i buy the extended type, because the motor/exhaust is behind me when i'm trimming, and not right in my face. anyone else have these same thoughts?

2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

what model are you considering bobby?

3. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

We have a Stihl long handle trimmer. Only use it for the tall stuff. I think you will find they are too heavy and awkward for normal shrubs. I have had Sthil, Shin,Redmax,and Tanaka. We prefer the Tanakas over any thing we have tried. Well built , lighter, and will cut bigger branches than alot of the others.

4. bobbygedd

from NJ

i have red max, the weedwacker, hedge trimmer, chainsaw attachments. i have regular echo trimmers(my helper uses them), and i'm thinking of the redmax, not sure what model, it's only a hedge trimmer, extended reach, long bar. think it's like $550. i like it cus the exhaust will be behind me. i kinda like my lungs, u know

5. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

I own several of the redmax extended reach and 30 inch single side hand held trimmers. Both have there niche I think. Not a saftey thing for me.....if the exaust fumes dont kill me im sure somethign else will!

6. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

BG,

You should check out the new Little wonder trimer. It has a removable middle section (about 18" long) and the head unit is made by Komatsu/Zenoah (Redmax). Its a nice unit. BOught one last year.

7. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

Turfdude, I have one of them also. Ive been very happy with that unit also. I still prefer the handheld 30inch trimmers for small shrubs and detail work though......Just cant get as precise when the blades doing the cutting are6ft away from me.

8. charlies

charlies LawnSite Senior Member
    from earth

we have an echo hca2400. we love it, but dag...that thing is heavy.

9. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I have one of the Stihl long handled trimmers, but mine is the older model that doesn't have the pivoting head, so it is much lighter. Unlike Specialtylc, I use mine for EVERYTHING, except if I get into tight areas with small shrubs that are like right against buildings. This is the first thing I grab, as it is SO much easier to use. No bending over, no reaching, better perspective, as you are standing back a little ways and better seeing what you are doing.

10. bobbygedd

from NJ

ok, but do u guys agree with me on the point of the exhaust being behind me, instead of right in my face? anyone think of this while purchasing trimmers?