Hearing Impaired -- No phone

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MOTES, Jan 31, 2008.

1. MOTES

MOTES LawnSite Member

Ok, I need some professical help on contacting people or looking for bid and so forth. First let me tell you that i'm 31 and deaf, therefore, I can't hear on phone and I don't sign language, I mostly read-lip. I'm a very hard worker and I'm always get it right the first time kind of guy. I've been deaf all my life and works for different companys and I've alway try to work my way up which a few places do, but when trying to go further up, they always turn me down. I know why, and i don't need to ask them why becasue they already know why, and i'm sure that they are worry about my hearing. When I reazlize that things are costing more, I could not afford what the company paying me. Hearing Aid for me is costing almost $4700, and insurance don't pay for it at all. So, overall, it's was getting hard to move on unless you be your own boss. Now, for 5 years i've been doing my own lawncare business with about 53 customers going solo.
    I need help or maybe get some opionion from you guys who may be interesting responding to this. Most of my customer was going door to door, which i worked hard to get customers without hearing, which is fine. But my main problem is that i what to get more such as contacting property mangnament or try to find out about bids at commerical places, but i'm not really having any luck doing it, due to Phone calling, which i cannot do. I've never put in a bid at any place becasue i don't know how or what to do. I mean it really adds up and it's hard for me.
    Could you guys who doing commerical or property mangner, maybe give me some pointer or how can i do this bidding or contacting owner without phone. I've done some reserch but no luck.
    Again, thanks for your future responds and readers.

2. Denham Lawnboy

Denham Lawnboy LawnSite Member

I am not sure of how to get in touch with property managers or make large commercial bids but I wanted to reply anyway. I know that you are not looking for sympathy for being deaf but I would like to say that I admire what you have accomplished. 53 customers is no joke for even a 2 or 3 man operation. But good luck and I hope someone can help you.

3. barefeetny

barefeetny LawnSite Senior Member

This was a really tough question....

Is hiring a girl to make some phone calls an option...

around here the local chamber of commerces usually have networking mixers

learn to play golf.... charity events are usually full of real estate people and property managers

I will keep thinking for you and congrats on the 50+ residentials... a lot of people don't get that far...

Nate

4. MOTES

MOTES LawnSite Member

My wife usually makes phone calls for me, but I hate to have her help me out due to fact that she works fulltime. I don't want to feel that i'm getting her hands full. She helps me alot, but again, i need to figure out a way without her or anybody. Keep in mind that i've worked for a while just to get 50 residentials, but i don't want to stop here, I want to keep going, I am planning on hiring couple of guys this year for sure just to help me mow, I don't want them to contact anybody due to no experince on sale or bidding. Even myself, I don't know anything about bidding part or how it's done. But still would like to know. Do i just go in and ask?

5. Raven386

Raven386 LawnSite Silver Member
    from CT

thats your best bet, go in ask who to talk to, leave them some kind of business info and a bid.

6. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

You need a 'Front man' or preferably a woman, to talk to ppl and b.s. them.
    you just take care of the work. I've had family members who have done this for reason other than yours (couldn't read or write) and it worked out beautifully.

The only down side is sometimes you don't get treated like the owner.

7. Scagguy

Scagguy LawnSite Bronze Member

First of all I want to commend you on what you have accomplished so far. As others have said, some lco's don't have 50+ accounts. Keep plugging away. You'll get there. What I'm going to suggest will involve your wife, family member, or trusted friend. If you posted an ad on Craigslist in the barter section, landscaping for marketing person, it might be worthwhile. Your wife or whoever could work out the details with them and see what happens. Just my .02

8. MOTES

MOTES LawnSite Member

i want to thanks you guys for your help, even though you may don't think so, but at least there some thoughts. I know that i'll able to get there, but sometime it's seem like it taking for ever. Again, I just wanted to have a little change like getting a commical lot so i can experience it, it may be good or bad, at least to learn how to get into it. Am I going to be asking for manager or who am I looking for as far as asking for a bid? would they know off the bat who to talk to? I just don't want to feel like an idoit I guess. :hammerhead:

9. barefeetny

barefeetny LawnSite Senior Member

motes,

the toughest part is sometimes noone knows who is charge

i have had property managment companys say yes and then have a local girl in the office give my job to someone else

this happens on the national all the way to the local company

sometimes you have to ask a lot of people... sometimes someone makes the decision and 20 people have to add their input... by the time its over its a diffrent job then when you started.....

residential can be much easier as usually its the husband or the wife or both making choices....

10. rob7233

rob7233 LawnSite Senior Member

I'm familiar with your problem. I would highly suggest you go to your local State Vocational Rehabilitation office. After they speak with you and you going through their orientation and getting setup with a counselor, they will provide you with the best hearing aides money can buy. This is what they do all day, every day. Very routine for them.

If the hearing loss effects you ability to work or to advance, you're qualified. They'll get you properly evaluated and fitted. Forget about a girl, fix what's holding you back. PM me if you need to. This may be the best information you'll ever receive.........:weightlifter: Also, they will tell you where you can obtain a hearing impaired phone that will amplify beyond FCC restrictions. AND THAT's probably going the be free for you!!