Hearing protection and CDs

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by metro-hp_48, Feb 2, 2004.

1. metro-hp_48

metro-hp_48 LawnSite Senior Member
    from TN

Need to get some better hearing protection this season. Anyone have any type/brand they recommend? For me it needs to have an input for a CD palyer (waterproof Sony is what I've had for the last 3 years....found that the moisture from my Camelbak was too much for a reg. one)
    Nothing like some Slayer, Ozzy, Malmsteen, Skid Row, Iron Maiden, ect. to get me through the day. (Guess I should like "older music" since I just turn 87, but.......... just not me)

2. Royalslover

Royalslover LawnSite Senior Member

Metro, do you listen to headphones without ear plugs. I've always listened to head phones over my ear plugs. I just can't seem to find a stereo that is always loud enough.

3. metro-hp_48

from TN

Well, I don't use earplugs, but I prob. should be. Not sure which is worse, no hearing protection, or the music. (although to me, it's never loud enough) Both seem to affect my hearing after awhile. (might be what's happening to my hearing so far)
    Know it's been brought up here before, and I'll need to go search.
    Looking at the Sound Traps at this moment. Individual amplifiers in each cup with separate on-off /volume controls, Light weight and an input jack. As long as it keeps the sound of the mower out, it shouldn't take much volume, but I take all I can get.
    (at my age, hearing is the last thing I'm going to worry about)

http://www.odspec.com/hearing/hearing.html

4. metro-hp_48

from TN

Oh BTW, not sure how many use or even know about the Camelbaks (prob. everybody by now) but if someone doesn't, their missing out. Learned about them here, many years ago, and it was the best thing I bought that year (bought my Jungle Wheels the same year) Nothing like having 100 ounces of your favorite ice cold beverage, hands-free, AND keeping your back cool. Have bought several for friends & family. (got mine with plenty of pouches to hold "this and that". (think mine was the Mule model)

5. P&C Lawn Care

P&C Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

I love my Camel-bak. It is also great to take hiking, or bicycling too. My kids love to use it also. It is funny that they will drink water if it is water bought at the store in one of the 16, 24, or 32 ounce plastic bottles but won't drink it in a glass out of the tap. Same with the camel-bak, they will drink water for days when it is in that thing.

Oh get some Peltor worktunes with the input plug. I think these are actually the racing ones. Drop down the outside noise on your ears and listen to some tunes too.

6. LawnPerfect

LawnPerfect LawnSite Senior Member

(at my age, hearing is the last thing I'm going to worry about)

thats exactly what I said years ago. then at 22 I had only 70% of my hearing left.

7. metro-hp_48

from TN

Peltor.............I think that's the brand I was trying to think of.

8. lawnMaster5000

lawnMaster5000 LawnSite Senior Member

Search for peltor on this site and read the "Elvex or Peltor" thread. There is alot of information about hearing protection and different types in there. It is advisable to also read the other threads that come up under that search.

9. grassrootsinab

grassrootsinab LawnSite Member
    from up here

For those of you who don't wear ear protection GET WITH THE PROGRAM...in university we were never supplied with ear plugs or muffs. I'd always used plugs but ended up losing just one...last year I bought sets of muffs my crew...they ALWAYS wear them (although it's a pain when the temp. gets up there). Over the past few summers I really notice my hearing impaired...actually my wife notices it the most "Didn't you hear me" or "Turn that TV down!!!". Get the protection!!!

10. FosterLawnscaping

FosterLawnscaping LawnSite Member

I use a small sony FM walkman with a pocket clip and small headphones that fit in the ears. I use shooters muffs over those. Homemade Peltors. Work great except at the cemetery by that one headstone that whenever you go past it goes to a religious station. I haven't fgured that one out yet but I mow fast around that one.:confused: