Hearing Protection & Eye Protection

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by HarryD, Jul 19, 2002.

1. HarryD

HarryD LawnSite Bronze Member

how many of you dont use hearing protection & eye protection :nono:

many many years ago we didnt use hearing protection as a result ive lost some hearing . for the last 15 years ive been useing the rubber reusable kind on a string i dont like the big ear muff kind . plus i always use sun glass's or safty glass's when im trimming and a ball cap to keep my nose from getting fryed :cool:

for all you new guys just getting started dont even get out of your truck till ya put in or on your hearing protection

2. Brickman

Brickman LawnSite Bronze Member

I always wear ear plugs and shades. If you don't think it is needed you are in SERIOUS denial.

3. proline32

proline32 LawnSite Senior Member
    from 98383

Everyday I see LCO's with guys working for them with no eye/ear protection, wearin shorts and sandals. They just don't give a rip about thier own protection and niether does the LCO owner.

I nowdays wear a full hardhat with ear and face shield and safety glasses on top of that when ever I'm trimming, I nearly lost one eye last year being careless with trimming and I just won't chance it. I even wear a long sleave shirt on hot days and long pants and steel toe shoes. My safety is important to me and my family.

4. Firefighter Dave

Firefighter Dave LawnSite Member

I know this is common sence and it shouldn't even be a question. But I will leave my two cents anyhow. In my line of work we have every kind of protection availiable because of NFPA. But we still have the most fatalities and injuries amoung any work profession out there....

With that said, I am sure it's hard to track all lawn care injuries since injuries are most likely not reported by small companies...

IT IS THE RESPONSIBILITY of the owner, the crew leader or the one man opperation, to wear these safety equipment. At least eye protection!!!

What is your vision worth to you? God forbid I lose a finger, or hand, arm, or a leg, but the most important thing I have is my eye sight! I can learn to do things with a couple of missing fingers, or learn to us an alternate hand or get on of those neafty titatium legs if I should lose a leg.... but losing my vision I am done! I am to old to learn brail, I think maybe more to lazy to learn to read it... I can't even figure out the numbers on an elevator! I love to drive, that wouldn't happen anymore! Reading post on Lawn Site wouldn't happen. You'd be confind to your own house.....

WEAR YOUR SAFETY GLASSES!!!! DUH!!!

Dave

:blob2: :blob2:

5. ProMo

ProMo LawnSite Bronze Member

ive been mowing 20 years with no protection that is about to change ive tried eye protection but sunglasses affect my visionm in the shade and clear ones get sweat on them and i cant see fixing to get some work tunes

6. Firefighter Dave

Firefighter Dave LawnSite Member

Spend a little extra and get some clear Oakley's... The sweat problem should go away.... I have yellow colored shooting glasses that I have used and they work well too...

Dave

:blob2: :blob2:

7. rkbrown

rkbrown LawnSite Senior Member

Dave...agree with the yellow/amber shooting classes...I use them, shades and in the late evening the cheapie clear ones that Stihl gave me when I bought my trimmer. For the ears I use the rubber earplugs that I got in high school at the military academy I attended. They work great !

8. dr grass

dr grass Banned

no i dont wear my ear protection like i should. i have those little rubber ones that go into the ear canal. ive always had ear problems since i was a kid, and these only annoy me. i use to think the big mickey mouse ear muffs looked stupid, but this ringing in my ears has convinced me otherwise. im going to pick up some of those mickey mouses's with the radio in them. its not about looking cool for me nomore, its about being able to hear birds chirping when im 50. but i never leave the house without my cheap 8.00 oakleys. i buy them 6 at a time. i make sure i always have an extra pair on hand. no hats though, they just make pimples on my forhead. i use cocoa butter to protect me from the sun.

Shep :)

9. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

It just baffles me. :nono:

I've been wearing glasses for my vision since 11th grade. Before that I had numerous types of safety glasses that my Dad got from work. Since Day #1 I'd always wear them when string trimming. Never wore them while mowing, but ALWAYS when trimming.

Now that I wear glasses, I have a real nice tight fitting pair of RayBans with polarized and UV tinted safety glass in them. I can wear them till 9pm and still see fine. Wish they were a little darker during the day, but oh well. Anyway, I wear them all day long. Sure I sweat on them, you'll get used to it. Thats why I carry a roll of paper towels in the truck for. A little spray of glass cleaner, a quick rub, and they are clean as can be!

As for hearing protection.....Thats something my Dad always had mixed feelings about. He always wanted me to hear anybody around me, or hear if the mower is making funny noises. Well, 3 years ago, after many sleepless nights of ringing in the ears (thank you very much DIXIE CHOPPER :mad: ), I got a pair of Elvex FM muffs. I love them. Just bought a pair of Peltor AM/FM worktunes this year and love them too. Sure you sweat in them (you'll get used to it!) a little, and they'll grab some low hanging branches sometimes, but your hearing will improve dramatically! Mine did. Only thing you gotta watch is your tan line!!! WHITE EARS !!!

Wear those glasses....Wear those muffs!!!!

10. AltaLawnCare

AltaLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

It looks more professional too! I wear the little foam ear plugs,...with the string (let the string hang in front)...

Of course when I get home I crank up the stereo louder than the mower anyway..:rolleyes:

I have a "screen" shield like the one wood cutters use, works great, much cooler than a face shield.

I just dug out my scott goggles, the dust here is soo bad. I'll look like a fool wearing 'em but at least I won't get that **** in my eyes..:cry: