Hearing Protection; need help

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by mcwlandscaping, Jul 28, 2005.

1. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

I am picking up my new eXmark Metro 15/48 tomarrow and want to know if I should wear hearing protection when using it. If so, could you you recomend a type of low profile ones that do the job without sticking 6 inches out of your head. THANKS :angel:

2. Gilla Gorilla

Gilla Gorilla LawnSite Senior Member

You can get some ear plugs on a string for less then $2 at Wal Mart or do like I did and get yourself a pair of Peltor work tunes for around $60.00 and then really start enjoying your days when mowing.

3. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

We use Laser lite disposable faom earplugs. Have dispensor mounted on wall of shop & small supply in small ziplock storage containers in glove boxes of trucks in case someone loses one or forgot to get them from shop. Very comfortable and have NRR of 30-32 I think.

4. Shuter

Shuter LawnSite Bronze Member

You should wear hearing protection anytime you are running equipment.

5. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

Always have a set of stihl headphones on they come in camo now course only the owners in my company get wear those.

6. lwcmattlifter

lwcmattlifter LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

We use hearing protection on all OPE. I like the Howard Leight Max plugs with the cord. We buy them in boxes of 100. I also carry Ruger headphones but they are heavy and geared more for shooting.

7. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

Thank You Very Much Guys, You've been A Big Help!! I like running my ipod headphones under the earmuff hearing protectors for the long jobs. THANKS AGAIN!! I can't wait to get my mower.

8. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

I always used the foam plug type with the string. Used to leave them in my shirt poacket after the day was over and run them through the washing machine cold water only. Always clean. I 'd tie them aound the band on the back of my ball cap or hard hat so they could dangle freely when I took them out. When I started wearing the wider brimmed hats couldn't do that anymore. Happy mowing w/ your new Exmark.

9. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

Try safetydirect.com they have all kinds of choices and bulk discounts.

10. marvinlee

marvinlee LawnSite Member
    from Oregon

I use the big Bilsom models that stick way out. NRR rating is 29. I didn't always use the big ear protectors, but over many years my ears deteriorated drastically. Even better ear protection would come from using both ear plugs and outside ear protectors.

The machinery companies could help by producing quieter equipment. It is already happening on some brands.