Hearing Protection/Radio

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by TopNotchLS, Feb 21, 2006.

1. TopNotchLS

TopNotchLS LawnSite Member

I'm thinking of buy some hearing protection with the built in radio. I was wondering how good they work. And whats a good brand, or should I just go with an MP3 player. Also wondering on what every buddy else uses, if anything.

2. adamholz17

adamholz17 LawnSite Member

I just bought a set of noise cancelling earbuds, since the headphones are big and bulky, and the ear muffs are hotter than dickens in the summer time. They seem to work pretty well, since they "cancel", which is more of a slight reduction, the lower pitched noises, such as lawn mowers and such. Weedeaters they don't do such a good job on though. They seem to be a good investment though, then just hook up ot an ipod and your set.

3. indy2tall

indy2tall LawnSite Senior Member

The best money you will ever spend will be at a hearing doctor for a set of custom earplugs. These are the same earplugs used by rock musicians and there are none better. You can expect to spend anywhere from $85 to $130. They are very small and fit almost entirely inside your ear so they are not hot like headphones and they are so comfortable you probably will never even notice they are in your ear. They can be molded to work with high quality earbuds like Shure and will last a very long time. When I wear mine I listen to an IPOD at a normal listening level and cannot hear a mower or a trimmer at all. They block out so much noise that you need to be more aware of who or what is around you.

4. adamholz17

adamholz17 LawnSite Member

how do you mold them to fit your earbuds? Can you ask them to do that, or did you modify them yourself?

5. jmurphy

jmurphy LawnSite Senior Member

I use Peltors with my Mp3 speakers inside!:headphones: :headphones: :headphones:

6. Gatewayuser

Gatewayuser LawnSite Bronze Member

I use work tunes but if you use them every day they don't last long. You should not use anything with wires because they could get caught and you could get hurt.

7. jmurphy

No, I have my wires attached to the headband and the Mp3 player is attached to the side of the muffs.

8. Gatewayuser

Gatewayuser LawnSite Bronze Member

Smart:headphones:

9. jmurphy

Like this---

66666.JPG

10. jmurphy

And this--

peltors 001.jpg