Hearing protection with MP3 player

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dwost, May 24, 2004.

1. dwost

dwost LawnSite Bronze Member

After much research and reading on here I ended up building my own set of "work tunes" so to speak. I was going to just buy a set of the $50 ones from walmart but I really wanted something I could plug my MP3 player into. I looked at the Elvex models and they are quite nice but will run $90+ depending on which model you choose. So, for a mere $17 I built a set has NR 25db rating, a place to mount my MP3 player so there are no wires getting in the way. It can be used either with or without the player. Here's what I did and some pics to show the finished product. It works great.

I purchased a set of the "Husqvarna" earmuffs from Lowe's. I looked at several models from AO Safety/peltor, etc.. But they were all 20-22db. The Husqvarna ones were not only 25db rated but have a slick adjustment to increase or decrease pressure against your head. They also have replaceable ear cups which allowed me to run the wires into the earmuff making it look factory.

I used a set of $7 sony headphones that I had laying around and a phone clip that I attached to my player (I already use the clip in my car so now I can use it for both very easily) I simply removed the band from the headphones, reattached the foam covers. I then popped off the ear foam and ran the wire and speaker assembly into the unit, snapped the earpads back onto the earmuffs and wallah, had a working stereo/hearing protector! It can be used like this if you'd rather have the radio/mp3/tapedeck/cd,etc... attached to your belt. I personally wanted an "all-in-one" setup so I then ran the wires around the top and secured them with zip ties.

I then attached the holder with some 3m double sided tape and it was completed. Granted, this might look a little goofy with the player sticking out, however, I was more interested in function over form and I can always change it back if I decide to. The sound is awesome and It is fully rated at 25db. Enjoy!!

completed assembly.jpg
  2. dwost

Here is the completed unit with the player attached.

3. dwost

Closeup of the holder

4. dwost

Pic of the unit upclose.

5. dwost

The speaker placed inside the earmuff.

6. dwost

the player........1.5gh, holds about 300 mp3's and 450 wma.

7. POBOY

POBOY LawnSite Member

cool it's time to go to home depot.:cool:
  8. Rob T

Rob T LawnSite Member

That's slick...I've always used a radio but the stations would fade in/out. Mp3 seems like the way to go. 300 tunes!!!! WOW
  9. bayoulawn

bayoulawn LawnSite Member

Very ingenious I must say.
  10. dwost

Thanks all, I had the same issue with FM, and really I'd rather listed to the music I want when I want it. Anyway, this is a great little player. It's the smallest in it's class and fairly priced at about $180. The Ipod's are awesome, but they are bigger and will run you 250-400 depending on the model. They came out with a mini pod but again, I think it is bigger than this one.

Rio also has a 4g model exactly the same as mine and it holds about 800-1000 songs. Plenty for a full weeks work......lol