Hearing protection

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Acute Cut, Mar 19, 2001.

1. Acute Cut

Acute Cut LawnSite Senior Member

The last three years i have been using those little orange foam plugs. I have switched to muffs this year but am less than impressed. I realize that they only cost 10$ and are probably not the best kind. Which kind do yall use? I turn my head alot, does this affect your type of muffs? How much were they? Do any of you think i should stay with plugs? Etc, etc.
  2. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

i use elvex ear muffs with the built in radio. they were $139 i think. i love being able to listen to music while mowing.
  3. Chopper Lover

Chopper Lover LawnSite Senior Member

4. BigEd

BigEd LawnSite Senior Member
    from MD

Sony discman....LOL
  5. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

foam ear plugs give you great hearing protection, but they get real dirty from rolling them up with your fingers. I use ear muffs.
  6. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

It seems like with ear muffs, that you would have white ears and white rings around them from tan lines!
  7. morturf

morturf LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

hey runner, the fashion police will definitly pull you over for that....but at least you will hear the siren!...lol
  8. Mr.Ziffel

Mr.Ziffel LawnSite Senior Member

Runner, AC is just a bit north of me and although our govenor said we're in a drought, they must have not meant us. We're much more likely to get rusty than tan although we do have our moments in the sun[shhh, don't tell anyone--I swear if they ask I'll tell them it rains 365 days a year here].

Acute Cut, I was just telling myself today how happy I am with my Elvex radio muffs--I get the Bellingham stations the best on them and I find myself wearing them around quite a bit as I do all sorts of work when in the past I wouldn't have normally worn muffs, even if I should. For example I ran the chainsaw off and on for a couple of hours today and I just left them on the whole time getting into the tunes and I never used to wear muffs to run the chainsaw.

I always wear them mowing or on the tractor and now in the shop when sharpening etc. One bad thing is that I ran inside to cut something on the bandsaw while wearing them and when I closed up later in the afternoon I heard something in the woodshop and went in to find I'd left the bandsaw on--I couldn't hear it until I took them off. In hotter weather they can get warm and sweaty, but you can just wipe the foam part clean and replace it when necessary. I give this product two thumbs up and thank Lawnsite for bringing it to my attention. I got them for 130something at AMLeonard, but I saw them today online at Greenline for 120something, although I didn't have to pay shipping so you'll have to check.

Good luck, Will

PS I used to buy the foamies by the bucket but will probably not use them much anymore now.
  9. Acute Cut

Acute Cut LawnSite Senior Member

Mr. Ziffel:
    Do those things have chargers they sit on at night?

Thanks for the help guys.
  10. Mr.Ziffel

Mr.Ziffel LawnSite Senior Member

I got the battery powered ones. You can get rechargeable ones for more money, but I don't like most rechargeable stuff because if you forget you're down until they recharge, while with the battery stuff you just put 'em in when needed. It may be more expensive in the long run to buy batteries but that's what Costco is for.