hearing protection

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by little mike, Nov 16, 2005.

1. little mike

little mike LawnSite Member

I never used up until about a month ago.I started noticing a slight "ringing" in my ears at the end of the day.so that's why I started using them.Eye protection I've been using since middle school woodshop.

2. MTR

MTR LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

Mowing without ear muff & protection is like asking for trouble. Stihl ear muff is what used widespread and it is good. Also, sunglass is so invaluable cause those trimmer will hack your eyeball you never know.

3. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

We use them, in the heat of the summer we shag a little can't wear a boonie.

4. gman44

gman44 LawnSite Member

I always use earmuffs and have installed a radio mine . Once in a while I run my mower without my muffs on just to listen to pullys and bearings , but , not for long .

5. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I honestly don't use hearing protection, only eye proteciton.

The hearing protection actually hurt my ears worse I thought

6. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

AOSafety makes those radio/hearing protection headphones. Not only do they provide good protection but I get to hear Rush everyday. You would be amazed at how quick the day goes by when the radio plays all day. Get them at Home Depot or Lowe's.

7. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

I use the stihl ear protectors and run my ipod earbuds underneith them. Then run the corn under my shirt to my pocket where the ipod is, so the wire doesn't get caught on anything, if it does (and this has happened ALOT) it really hurts when those things get ripped out of your ear!! So put the cord underneith!!! Just my .02

8. Lawn Masters

Lawn Masters LawnSite Senior Member

I seldom go without hearing protection.

9. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

I went for years without hearing protection, then this season I guess I had a revalation and decided from day one to use earplugs. I bought a pair of peltor worktunes but the pressure of them on my ears gives me a horrible headache, I could never find a station that came in very clear, and when I did, it was commercials... lol.

The earplugs do take a little getting used too, and you need to look at the instructions or have someone show you how to insert them properly. I see a lot of ppl with them just barely in and they don't work right and fall out that way. Iv'e been using the Max 33db plugs with the cord. (orange plug, blue cord) I chose the Max because Iv'e seen others use them and they are one of the highest db reducing plugs out there. Figure if I'm gonna wear them I may as well do it right...

10. grassyfras

grassyfras LawnSite Bronze Member

Some of you guys wont get under a mower with it running when changing blades but don't always wear ear plugs. I think not wearing ear plugs is much worse. Just cause you don't see the affects right away doesnt mean its not as bad.:cool2: