hearing protection

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DBL, Jul 17, 2006.

1. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

just wondering what everyone uses if anything for hearing protection while on the mowers. our mowers each have those noise cancelling earphones with the radio. the guys like them but we also have the little things that you put in your ears but just wondering what you guys use
  2. Branchland

Branchland LawnSite Senior Member

Work tunes. Got them at wally world.
  3. lawncare18

lawncare18 LawnSite Senior Member

4. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

I have used Stihl muffs for several years. But, the past few days have been hot and humid, and those things get so hot!!!

Who uses plugs, and what kind have shown to work best?
  5. NewbieNC

NewbieNC LawnSite Member

HUH? Cant hear you???
  6. imdawrlus

imdawrlus LawnSite Member

no hearing protection for me. sometimes i'll use my ipod and listen to some music, but even then i have to turn the volume up all the way just to hear it.
  7. dlandscaping

dlandscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    from mass

Peltor worktunes and just listen to one station all day long. It comes in really strong so its easy to hear. Atleast wear something, you will lose your hearing.
  8. Splicer

Splicer LawnSite Senior Member

As much as I would LOVE to have a radio type ear protectr I can't afford it so I use the STIHL orange ear muffs...pretty good but gets boring...
  9. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

I was using the worktunes, but sometimes the reception would be spotty.

Now I use my ipod, with a high-quality set of in-the-ear earbuds. They work great to block most of the noise from equipment.
  10. mak2

mak2 LawnSite Senior Member

I usually listen to a local NPR station on my peltors, but on one outlying lawn I can pick it up when I run north and south, but not east and west. Bad thing is it is aobut ten acres so I am there awhile. So I told the owner I can only mow in one direction, because it is a NOZone action day.