1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Hearing Protection

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by miketull8, Feb 9, 2008.

1. miketull8

miketull8 LawnSite Member

I am looking to buy a pair of those FM Radio hearing protectors...anyone use them? What's a good brand (durable, get's good reception, etc).....;)
  2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Not sure, probably Peltor's but I'll tell you my story...

I have always worn hearing protection of some kind in this line of work, at least 99.9% of the time there was one or two short-timed exceptions but...

I had the opportunity to take a free hearing test about middle of last year, and to my not-so-excited surprise I found the upper range of my hearing is gone, I could not hear the absolute highest pitch squeal of the testing sound in either ear, not at all.

So for me today it's foamies + mickey mouse ears, double hearing protection all the time.
    And no more music, just one more thing I like to crank to a high volume so that's over, too.
  3. hackitdown

hackitdown LawnSite Silver Member

I bought WorkTunes at Home Depot for around $50. Excellent FM, almost no AM. The battery cover fell off and was lost, but it has been working with duct tape for 2 years.
  4. Exact Rototilling

Exact Rototilling LawnSite Fanatic

My other business is audio engineering so I defend my hearing with a passion. They make me $$$. For whatever goofy reason far too many people are very oblivious about loud noises damaging their hearing. They don't seem to care ???

I wear Peltor bulls eye 10 and they have a -29 db rating themselves but I don't stop there. I also where Shure E2G in the ear canal ear plug headphones that reduce outside db by art least -20 db by themselves. So I combine both muffs & ear plug earphones and I can play classical music, spoken word at very low levels and I don't have to strain the hear anything. :headphones:Volume adjustment is very slight when I start mowers etc. It's the perfect combo if you ask me. Only real big issue is if a customer wants to talk to me I need to pause the mp3 player and remove ear muffs then plug at least one E2g plug to hear them.

Shop around you can find them cheaper else where. http://www.cabelas.com/prod-1/0012828220681a.shtml -29db rating best on the market.

I'm a total extremist in protecting my hearing. I wear my Peltor's even when I run a vacuum cleaner in the house, blender, coffee grinder sometimes. On longer road trips I wear foam ear plugs. It really makes you les tired on long trips. It's called listener fatigue. It actually make you tired neurologically due to the constant background noise. Another area is motor cycle riding helmet or no helmet. You will go deaf waaaay quicker if you don't wear plugs. Especially if you have one of those loud pipe bad dude V-Twins with the straight pipes. :realmad: :gunsfirin That's one of my pet peeves frankly. :angry: Where I live it's bad news biker Mecca. You're just not COOL unless you have super loud pipes. :nono:

Anyhow just protect your ears. If you do you won't need a hearing aide when you're old.
  5. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

I do the same thing. -29dB Peltors and then in-ear-canal headphones beneath those. Went from operating my mp3 player at a volume level of around 18 (just an arbitrary number) down to 6-7 on its volume scale. It's VERY nice... until someone wants to talk to you...
  6. GravelyNut

GravelyNut LawnSite Bronze Member

Due to my former working conditions, I had to be tested yearly. 3-M muffs plus foam plugs in the ears. A pain when hot, so cool pads on the muffs too. But far better than being exposed to 108db for 12 hours a day.
  7. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

I wear Maximuff earmuffs and provide them to my employees as well to keep the sound down. I just wish I could convince my guys to wear hearing and eye protection all the time. I also provide them corded ear plugs as well but that doesn't seem to make a difference.
  8. gmanlq

gmanlq LawnSite Member

I usually wear a long brim hat for sun protection. This means my ear protection goes behind my neck instead of on top of my head. Have you worn the Peltors on the back of your neck and still have them work effectively? They look like they may not fit around the ear well like that.
  9. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah I don't know that the Peltors will fit with the band around your neck... Depends on the size of your ears I guess. They are also pretty heavy, the top band holds them up. Might not work.

Peltor does have new headphones out with digital tuning and an IN jack on them for an ipod or the like.

I have a set of the origunal style and just can't use them. They don't cut the sound enough, my ears still hurt from the noise that gets through them. I tried ear plugs under them but then couldn't hear the radio unless the machine was off... So I just use earplugs. I buy the ones that give the Maximum Db reduction. like -32 I think.
  10. Exact Rototilling

Exact Rototilling LawnSite Fanatic

That wouldn't work for me. I do wear them over a baseball type cap and that works fine. Your ears are totally covered up if that helps so you might loose the hat your wearing go with something like this. Might work with the muffs.