1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Hearing Protection

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tstutz, May 10, 2010.

1. tstutz

tstutz LawnSite Senior Member
    from Kansas

Ok so what does everyone use when they are mowing so at the end of the day you can understand what people are saying without making them yell?

I like to listen to my ipod while mowing my large commercials and trimming and blowing. This forces me to turn the volume up to the max just to hear the music.

Does anyone else listen to some tunes while laying down the stripes?

2. irishcreek95

irishcreek95 LawnSite Member

I use ear muffs and ear buds under them, seems to work pretty well. You do need a high quality set. I know a guy that uses the expensive Bose ones, but $200 is a little much for me.

3. blakerugg

blakerugg LawnSite Senior Member

you could try the work tunes, but i dont have any personal experience with them. whenever i listen to my ipod i just put the earphones in then put the muffs over em

4. Cummins343

Cummins343 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Kansas

Dr. Dre noise canceling headphones. $300 a pop.

5. tstutz

tstutz LawnSite Senior Member
    from Kansas

WOW $300...i would rather listen to mother nature then drop that so i can have some tunes playing. I have done the ear muffs with the ear buds under them and that works pretty good. I have seen the bose noise cancelling on ebay for $150. I already have poor hearing from operating farm machinery for years without any protection and i dont want it any worse because im only 16.

6. ashgrove landscaping

ashgrove landscaping LawnSite Gold Member

peltor work tunes all the way. they re tough, light, low profile and work all the time. Get some hearing protection now. You are crazy risking your hearing for anything. Plus they protect the side of your head when trimming.

7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Nothing, I sit in the truck operating my mower with the remote. :D

8. weeble67

weeble67 LawnSite Senior Member

Work tunes.... I found a great deal on ebay. They have a line in for my ipod. Works great.

9. Merkava_4

Merkava_4 LawnSite Bronze Member

**cringes** Get you some hearing protection muffs that let you plug the
    iPod into. You're gonna blow out your hearing doing what you've been doing.

10. Accident

Accident LawnSite Member

Honestly we have two sets of the noise canceling ear muffs with digital radio
    But i have a 60g ipod with 8k songs for a reason
    Its what i perfer to listen to.....if i go deaf i want it to be cause im listening to one of my favorite bands not some random radio station