1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Hearing protection

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MN Wildwood, Mar 28, 2003.

1. MN Wildwood

MN Wildwood LawnSite Member

What are some good hearing protectors that you would recommend? We have use the Stihl (full ear covering) protectors but the foam padding seem to harden up within a few months and they become uncomfortable. I have tried some which have radios built in to the headset but they cost ~$45 each. Likewise the small ear plugs are a continual cost as you have to keep buying new ones (even though they are inexpensive).

So my ? is what do you use and how comfortable do they feel over long periods of time. Thank You for your comments.
  2. Navig8r

Navig8r LawnSite Senior Member

I use full coverage 'muffs from Remington... I get 'em from Dick's sporting goods..... around 30 bucks.....
    I like 2 things about them..... soft cushions conform well around the frames of my glasses, so not much sound "leaks" past them.

Also, they have a NRR of 31 !!!

I got a pair of Peltor Worktunes for Christmas, but I haven't tried them yet.
  3. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

I buy ear plugs buy the box. They run about $20, and last a while. Use them and throw them out. reason I don't like headphones is because they get dirty after a while of use, and I just don't want them on my ears. :cool:
  4. Wesley's Lawn

Wesley's Lawn LawnSite Member

I just use the packaged ones you twist you and put in you ear, they work alright and are better then nothing. I have thousands of them lying around from when my dad was a machinist. :rolleyes:
  5. Ed Ryder

Ed Ryder LawnSite Senior Member

I just picked up some Elvix muffs. Good quality.

Grass cutters shouldn't have an attitude of being cheap with hearing protection.
  6. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

I picked up some Peltor worktunes on e-bay for like $40. They work great and I can listen to the radio at the same time.
  7. jkkalbers

jkkalbers LawnSite Member

I wear the elvix muffs a few times a week when I don't feel like listening to the radio I wear foam ear plugs
  8. G. Moose

G. Moose LawnSite Member

I use a pair of muffs made by Bilsom. They are very comfortable, even when wearing sunglasses. They do a good job of sealing out noise as well. They were around $15 at the local lumber yard. Hope this helps.