hearing protection?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by wrightlawn, Jan 27, 2005.

1. wrightlawn

wrightlawn LawnSite Member

how many of you use commercial type earmuffs or some sort of hearing protection when using equipment?

if you use the earmuff type is there anyone that sells lawn care type on the internet?
  2. Liberty Lawncare

Liberty Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I use the cheep fold up red ones frome home depot I cant rember the name they work and are cheep.
  3. SouthernYankee

SouthernYankee LawnSite Senior Member

I actually use peltar ear phones, but I orginally bought them for the shooting range, they were only 20bucks out of cabels and They are pefect for mowing.
  4. sethsodsquad

sethsodsquad LawnSite Member

If you are looking for earmuffs, I got the H10A headset off Amazon.com. They are 25 dollars, eligible for free shipping (buy something else cheap that knocks the 24.95 over the edge). These are 30db reduction - the best available I believe:

If you are interested in the earplugs, peltor makes some real nice reduction plugs:
    http://www.peltor.com/peltor.com/non_main.cfm?platform=Peltor Next

I chose not go get the radio ones cause I can get better sound and reception if I wear ear-bud headphones on my ears with the earmuffs over my ears. Works pretty well.

5. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I use the peltor witht he FM radio built in, you can hear the radio but its not loud enuff to total block out the sound in your surroundings
  6. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

I used to use Stihl earmuffs. After I got my peltor work tunes, I use those even if I'm not using the radio. They do a good job of blocking noise.
  7. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

I use peltors too. helps make those long mowing jobs go easier. besides that, I never miss a moment of el rushbo, lol.
  8. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

Used the ear muff style in the winter just regular soft corded plugs for the rest of the year. Would leave the foam type ones in my shirt pocket and put them through the washing machine every few days. Just didn't put them through the dryer, was concerned the cord might have melted. Worked better than the muffs for blocking sound actaully.
  9. ealbertson

ealbertson LawnSite Senior Member

I always use ear protection. I use the Peltor Work Tunes. They have the built in AM\FM radio and sound attenuation as well. They are manufactured by AO Safety. WalMart has them as well as Amazon.com and many other places on the internet for anywhere from $50 and up.
  10. mownredneck

mownredneck LawnSite Member

Everytime I have a peice of equi. runin I have earplugs I cant hear without them!