Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by RedWingsDet, Dec 9, 2004.

1. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

Hey guys, I havent been posting to much lately, but incase you dont know, im 16, and cut about 40-50 lawns in the season.

Well guys, I used those big goofy ear muff things in the begining of the year for about a month, then got sick of them (made your ear sweat and gave me pimples and crap). So I quit wearing them. Well I went to the doc the other day, I havent been hearing good lately so they ran a hearing test, and they said I didnt do to good on it, so I have to go in for further testing on monday.

Anyway, I really dont think this should happen after one year, I know people who have been doing this for 10+ years and have no hearing problems. Seems quite odd...

I also have a small hernia (hopefully it'll go away if I take it easy for a while), high blood pressure, and something about my thyroid, and some other crap :(

Anyway, not looking for sympathy, just wondering if anyone else has had bad ears or ear after one freaking year. And I wasnt even going full time until the summer. Oh, and its only my right ear. This will suck if im 16 with a hearing aid, but hopefully I wont have to get one :) I guess ill be back to those goofy muff things, or atleast plugs.

Thanks Guys. Have a good Holiday Season!
  2. packerbacker

packerbacker LawnSite Bronze Member

Ive lost about 20% of my hearing over the last 10 years. I finally started wearing ear plugs last summer, my hearing seems to have leveled off but the biggest difference is i dont get headaches anymore.

Your 16? You sound like your 60. take care of yourself.
  3. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

I never used to wear them when I first started and I have hearing damage but it was more from Heavy Metal concerts and headphones turned up too loud. Started wearing earplugs at work because the safety ploicy at the school changed and was wearing those and disposable dust masks until I left. The other guys would go out of their way to not use the stuff and risked write ups fro the safety director.
  4. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

headphones and shades kid, always always always. not only do they protect me, they also make me look cool. hope your health problems improve.
  5. K c m

K c m LawnSite Senior Member

Im blind as a bat. so the shades dont work for me. :realmad:
  6. RedWingsDet

from Detroit

Thanks Guys

I always wear shades, I have a customer whos a firefighter, and my uncle is too. When I first started they told me what they've seen because not wearing protection (on their eyes, lol). So it scared the heck out of me, and now always wear eye protection. I just never thought the hearing could get bad after one year!
  7. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

at a minimum get the insert type ear plugs
  8. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

yea but, don't insert them where yardpro does, remember, EARPLUGS ONLY GO IN YOUR EARS
  9. RedWingsDet

from Detroit

ya im going to use those next year. But I asked for some Peltors for x-mas, and im 99% sure ill get them! Plus I can use em when im jogging/running/working out :)
  10. Mo Green

Mo Green LawnSite Bronze Member

Sorry to hear about your health problems. FYI, hernias don't go away. I just has surgery last year for one. The more you let it go, the worse it can become. The worse it becomes, the more involved the surgery, and more painful the recovery. These are some pretty rough health problems for a 16 year old. Are you overweight, or have these health problems in your family?