Heart Issues,,,,,,,damn

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by TSG, Apr 15, 2007.

1. TSG

TSG LawnSite Senior Member

He Folks
    This is going to be the new career and just found out I am looking at Heart Surgery,,,,and I may have to make "life changes"
    The issue is the blood thinners .
    My question is, how many of you are doinf this with valve replacements
    or similar things.
    I was going solo or little help,,,looks like I may be management only
    Thanks
    Alan

2. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

sorry to hear this..... at the current I have no health issues however I'm 45 and I know I cant last forever...
    take care of your self man.... let the younger guys do the work and you manage ........
    this could be a blessing after all

3. bigtex

bigtex LawnSite Member
    from ma

Hey Tsg, Sorry To Hear That. I've Been Cutting Lawns For 9 Years Now And Am Startin To Have (mad) Leg Pain. I Went To The Dr. And She Said Some Peoples Legs Just Dont Last As Long As Others (ohwell). I'm Startin To Think, Now, About Gettin Out Of This Biz. Its Hard To Do This Work And (not) Get Involved In The Phsyical Labor Aspect. Theres Other Ways To Make $ (i Hope) Good Luck Bro!

4. tann3100

tann3100 LawnSite Member
    from TN

What valve are they replacing? which side of the heart? I dont see that there would be a problem with you doing some riding now as far as doing something that is real stressful then yes I would say stay away from it. But I would follow up with my doc I just dont see where riding a mower would be that bad for you and even some light physical work just dont over do it.

5. TSG

I'm 47 and there going to do the Aorta and the valve
    the real issue is the Cumadin (sp),,,,I may elect for a Non mechanical valve to avoid it,,,if that is the case,,,,the buisnees model should work,,,,if not
    looks like I will be riding and managing.
    Life's a choice
    Thanks for the well wishes

6. tann3100

tann3100 LawnSite Member
    from TN

At your age I would probally go with a mechanical valve just considering hte life span of the artificial valves. Also I think within the next few years you will see some alternatives to coumadin that will allow for a better alternative unfortunately in your situation the coumadin/warfarin is the way to go. I wish you the best of luck if there is questions that I might be able to anwser feel free to ask.

7. robbo521

robbo521 LawnSite Senior Member

have 2 stents and lots of things done and i was 33 when it all hit me.got tons of heart problems.heart doc told me to get out and do more!heart stuff is not the end of the world now a days.

8. TSG

Thanks
    I know if I don't go artificial I will have to have it done in 8-10 yrs.
    I Hope your a heart DR and not an auto mechanic
    : )
    Alan

9. Eakern & Dog

Eakern & Dog LawnSite Senior Member

I was on this for a while when I was ill and you really do have to watch yourself with it with it being a blood thinner. If you cut yourself bad enough it can be an issue.They can give you emergency fluids of potassium to counteract the thinning agent of this, but I would not want to be in a major accident or have a large wound while on this stuff. I would hire a side-kick and be careful when you are working out and about.

Oh, also make sure you get your "levels" checked regularly for dosage adjustments.At one time, I was over prescribed and I ended up in the emergency room with legs cramps from hell and awful back pain. They told me this happens a lot with blood thinners.

10. JohnL

JohnL LawnSite Member