1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Heat Exhaustion

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DSIM, Jun 2, 2008.

1. DSIM

DSIM LawnSite Senior Member

Be careful out there guys. This is my eleventh season in lawn care and last Thursday the heat and humidity was pretty bad and I made it through the day w/o realizing how dehydrated I actually was.
    Friday morning I was at my first customer at 7:00am and it was nice and cool outside. Before I finished that yard I felt weak all over and then chills. I had another customer on that same street so I was determined to finish it before going home.

I barely finished that lawn before I became really cold & nauseous. I drove myself home and checked my temp. 103.5

Went to the E.R. and was there for 7 hours. All they wanted to do was run these major tests on me. Cat Scan, EKG, and then they wanted to check me for Spinal Meningitis. When I told them no on that I had to sign a waiver saying they were not held responsible if I kill over. They did give me an IV of sodium chloride to bring my temp down. They never diagnosed me or gave me recommendations. I had to find everything thing out myself on the net.

Saturday I took it easy and was feeling a little better and then Sunday afternoon I had another cycle of high temperatures. Worse than that was a migraine headache that I couldnt shake for anything.

I may have to take a whole week off. I have no employees so that means a loss of $$.

I'm not worried about that much about the money, my health is more important.

I do hope that it doesnt happen again. I've been looking at getting a cooling vest from sportcool.net

Bottom line is to STAY HYDRATED.
  2. railman

railman LawnSite Member

hope that your feeling better man. heat exhaustion and dehydration is a bad thing during the summer months.
  3. zemzabob

zemzabob LawnSite Senior Member

Hope you get to feeling better drink lots of water.
  4. DSIM

DSIM LawnSite Senior Member

thanks guys
  5. IN2MOWN

IN2MOWN LawnSite Platinum Member

You have to drink water and gatorade non stop when its that hot. Also eat lots of fresh chilled fruit when you get home.

Be very careful. Heatstroke and exaustion can lead to death.

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

I'm glad you're still with us, and had the sense to stop when you realized something wasn't right. It does seem odd though that this would happen after just one lawn. Hopefully there's no other hidden problems.

I'm afraid to say, I've pushed myself a few times in the past "when I knew something was wrong" A few times I was cramping up at the end of the day and feeling weak but pressed on to get that last lawn done. Which is a really bad idea.

Ironically dehydration is more of a problem for me on a nice 75-80 degree day with low humidity. I don't drink enough somedays like that and while I'm not sweating bullets, I'm still sweating enough and should be drinking some water between lawns. On the hot humid days I seem to naturally drink enough to keep me going.
  7. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

I have gotten like that a couple times but not to the extent that it took me a couple days to recover. I get headachs ALOT in the summer and my fiance keeps telling me its from being dehydrated. Maybe she is right I dont really know. If I drink to much when its real hot out I get severe stomach cramps and feel sick.

Anyway I hope you feel better. Try and relax for a couple days and drink plenty of water and gaterade and eat some fresh fruit. Also try not to drink anything with caffeine because that dehydrates you.
  8. petekief

petekief LawnSite Senior Member

I try to drink a liter an hour starting before i leave the house everyday i am out in it. I saw it on the Discovery or History channel. It was a show about the Israeli special forces or army fighting in the dessert. I had a bad day the year before last. I remember stopping bent over with my trimmer across both knees thinking "well i wonder if this is it?". I finished the job and went to the next but I just couldn't go. I apologized to my customer and said i'd be back the next day. I crashed hard. I slept for the rest of the day and on through the night. It was scary some but hasn't happened since the forced water regimen.
  9. lawnprosteveo

lawnprosteveo LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

Ive had heat exhaustion....not fun...came home on a couple of occasions puking after a 105 degree heat index day with no wind. Didnt have it last summer. When its gets that hot I slow WAAAY down. I also am trying to cull as many lawns that require walking behind a 21 as possible. Take longer breaks in between each yard too. Im just getting too old to hump it very fast when the really brutal heat comes.
  10. SamTheLawnMan

SamTheLawnMan LawnSite Member

Being a Firefighter/EMT we respond to heat related calls all the time.
    We used to get calls at the highschool just down from my station durring football season from the kids doing 2-a-days...
    The NEW coach now has the boys drinking gateraid mixed 50/50 with water.
    The coach told me he has them drink AT LEAST a 1/2 gal. per hour.
    Seems like that helped...not to many calls down there now.

So that's what I do........