Heat headache.....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Vibe Ray, Feb 19, 2001.

1. Vibe Ray

Vibe Ray LawnSite Senior Member

Have you guys ever gotten a really bad headache from workin' in the heat? What causes this? What's the best thing to do about it? Or the best way to avoid it?
  2. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

I don't get "heat headaches". But if you use common sense, drink plenty of water. You should be alright.
  3. CandJ

CandJ LawnSite Member

What your describing is dehydration and the beginning of heat exhaustion. The headache is a symptom of dehydration from the heat. Treatment includes moving to a cooler environment (air conditioning) and fluid replacement. A sports drink is fine, but not too much (just enough to replace electolytes and that depends on the degree of electrolytes lost. I usually drink a quart of Gatorade with lunch, and water the rest of the day). Drinking a lot of water during the day is the best way to combat the headaches and thirst and will also serve to keep yourself cooler too.
  4. moonarrow

moonarrow LawnSite Member

a HEAT headace is the first sympton of an oncoming heat stroke. you need to cool off , wet a towel and wrap it around you neck and find a cool place imediatly. To avoid drink lots of water, and drink a sports drink, with electrolytes, preferably not gator aid, it is really not that good for you , it has way to much salt instead of electrolytes, something like poweraid is much better. Read the ingredients and make sure it doesn't have much salt, and plenty of electrolytes.
  5. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

Just take a dip in the pool!
  6. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

You might be a redneck if your pool is in the back of your pick-up!
  7. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

Now I've seen everything. Good one mowerman90.LOL
  8. Do you take the pool with you Mowerman90, to you jobsites?

Vibe Ray, drink plenty of fluids preferably water and a sports drink to add back electrolytes that you sweat out. Be careful, don't become a statistic by becoming a victim of heat exhaustion or heat stroke.

9. CandJ

CandJ LawnSite Member

Heat exhaustion is a milder heat illness (than heatstroke) and an acute reaction to heat exposure. It is the most common heat illness that we will see while working in hot environments, because we can lose 1 - 2 liters of water and 20 - 50 meq of sodium per hour. Replenishment of fluids and cooling will generally reverse the headaches and general weakness associated with heat exhaustion and can be done on site.

If you are suffering from Heat Stroke, you need to be checked out at the hospital. Heat stroke is a true emergency condition as the body temp is typically at least 105 degrees F, and sweating has ceased. Heat Stroke is characterized by confusion, disorientation, or loss of consciousness and possible seizures. The treatment again calls for replacement of fluids, but also aggressive rapid active cooling and a trip to the ER due to the resulting central nervous system disturbances.

10. Man Joe

Man Joe LawnSite Member

Sometimes I would feel good when working but would feel thirsty.When I would drink soda I wouldn't feel as good as before drinking the soda. So I switched to water or 100% fruit juice. This solved the problem.