Heat,Heat,Heat

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Service 1st Lawn Care, Mar 16, 2012.

1. Service 1st Lawn Care

Service 1st Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

3rd straight day of 80 with another 4 to come, doubt Pre-Em will work who knows. Normal high 50, and normal low 30. Has been highs 80 and lows in 60's. :dizzy:

2. ted putnam

ted putnam LawnSite Platinum Member

Been that way for a month here. Newsalesoutheass. A month earlier than normal

3. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

Supposedly arounf the 23'rd temps are goign to be in the low 50's for highs and lows in the mid 30's. but who knows for sure, woudln't hold my breath. I don't liek these temps as I fear another bad severe weather season.

4. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

Started all my pre-em apps today. Should be finished tomorrow.

People are going to be screaming for an early herbicide treatment.

Definitively going to be doing a second app in about 4-5 weeks. Mostly liquid dimension for second app on edges of lawns and thin areas.

Absolutely crazy this year. My early tulips haven't bloomed yet, my later ones are now, and the fruit trees are just showing signs of blooms. This year could be a disaster for fruit crops if we get a late freeze.

5. ted putnam

Me too...I can try to avoid a tornado. However, I can't avoid over 3 months without a drop of rain or almost 40 days of 100+ temps. This is what worries me most. Our lawns took an extreme beating the last 2 years. A 3rd year of the same and I'll have a few that are "toast". I really feel for the folks in Texas though...We were mid 80's today. It was typical of mid to late May in our area.

6. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

People up here are just tickled for all the great weather we have had this year. I keep telling them that we are going to pay for it at the grocery stores sooner than they think. The lack of snow has its drawbacks, the biggest is the precip, second bugs are at all time high. Now if we get a dry summer, with the lack of precip this winter combind with a dry summer, not good at all. Watch food prices sky rocket. just look at the size of the mosquitos now. they are terrible right now and its only march! We only had about 3-4 inches of frost in the ground this winter and that was for about 2 weeks. If we get a hard freeze now, i think there will be alot of plant damage to deal with. Oh well i love cold weather.

7. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

You southern guys are kind of used to this weather in March. Up here, 80 degrees in March is just plain absurd. Been 70's for the last 4 days. The heat really is pushing everything too fast...too much stuff budding out or sprouting that could be nailed by a hard freeze (our normal last frost is 1st week of May).

8. ted putnam

Notice I said May...not March.

We could have some serious problems if a cold snap comes through also.

It really concerns me that we aren't cooler than what we are. Could spell trouble

Rice and soybeans aren't planted until later so that's of no consequence but the orchards and berry farms could take a beating

Last edited: Mar 16, 2012
  9. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

This is my third year of sub 80 temperatures at this time of the year. Combine that with lots of wind and rain, it is the perfect storm. Not cold enough to kill anything, too cloudy and cool for warm season grass to grow properly. Bad weather to spray anything in.:cry: The weather has been bipolar. It is either raining or blowing really hard. Have not seen a happy medium for a long time. I have been spoiled by years of almost 90 weather all year long. Sure there were still insects and weeds. But the grass grew well and it was usually calm enough to to do what I was supposed to do.

10. ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Gold Member
    Male, from Ark

Are you seeing unusual weed pressure that may be associated with this unusual weather?