1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Heat is killing us

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by randosh4, Jun 26, 2006.

1. randosh4

randosh4 LawnSite Member

On Tuesday our expected high temp is 105 f how do you guys cope with this ???:cry:
  2. K.Carothers

K.Carothers LawnSite Bronze Member

Lots of fluids,sun block and a hat.

Early starts are a must while the weather is cooler.

3. Raven386

Raven386 LawnSite Silver Member
    from CT

hire a couple workers, pay them dirt cheap, sit your @ss in the a/c all day... but if your talking realistically... like Carothers said, lots and lots of fluids... get a 5 gallon cooler and get some gatorade mix, alot cheaper then buying bottles.. theyre predicting rain for us this whole week so ill be doing some dump runs and mulch jobs this week...
  4. Freddy_Kruger

Freddy_Kruger LawnSite Bronze Member

I hate heat too, when its going to be really hot out I start earlier but I only work 5 hours on lawns anyway. I have also worked through the hottest times, last week I was doing a yard and I just felt funny and I started getting jittery that is over heating symptom to me. I had to sit down in the shade and drink some water for about 20 minutes then I felt better. The thing is I never take breaks unless I have to and the heat forced me to that day.

I do think I'm climatizing to it though for instance my trucks air condition don't work but that's ok, its not an option but I have great air conditioning in my car but now I don't use it either.
  5. LALawnboy

LALawnboy LawnSite Senior Member

i know how ya feel...it's been in the upper 90's everyday here with high humidity. hell the low at nights is 89/90. like someone already said, get a cooler of water, and either an ice chest/cooler of gatorade and alternate between the two. i have found this to work better than anything else i had ever tried. also, stop and take more breaks if you have to. i look at my long days in the heat like a long distance runner looks at his race: if you're running say a 2 mile race, you don't come out of the blocks hauling ass, you pace yourself. this is what i've been doing the past week and i've been able to last all day and not be completely drained at the end of the day. one other tip, if you know the day before that it's gonna be hot as hell outside the next day, hydrate yourself the night before. this will definitely help you handle the heat. good luck

6. garth1967

garth1967 LawnSite Senior Member

plus a stint under a tree here and there would be helpful

go home and have cold shower mid way during the day

call it quits if you feel dizzy

if you have a crew ,share that work load or work in shifts
  7. Freddy_Kruger

Freddy_Kruger LawnSite Bronze Member

If this is global warming we are going to have palm trees in winnipeg one of these years. Global warming might be good for canada.
  8. leafitalawn

leafitalawn LawnSite Member

Dang...it gets that hot in Canada? It occasionally gets that hot here (Houston area), but it's really the humidity that gets us bad. If you find yourself sweating alot, you might want to increase your sodium intake. I find that a high sodium snack such as beef jerky helps me to hold/maintain a more proper water balance. If I don't, I'll be all sweated out by noon...and then no natural cooling system. That's when it gets REAL dangerous.
  9. Idealtim

Idealtim LawnSite Senior Member

That humidity is a killer.
  10. SWD

SWD LawnSite Senior Member

Well, after mowing/working in 100*+ heat for six months out of the year - you kind of get used to it.
    The crews do not run the a/c in the trucks between jobs, wear hats, good quality cotton t-shirts, and drink lots of water per day.
    I will not allow them to drink sodas at all during the day for hydration, only water. Following work when they are returning to the shop, then and only then may they consume sodas.
    Also, I mandate as part of the company provided uniforms, clean/dry apparel each day - no exceptions. Boots are rotated out as each are issued two pairs, are numbered and checked by the supervisor on the truck each day.
    This may seem to be a bit of an over kill, yet since instituting these policies, the crews are healthier, more productive and in much better condition physically and mentally.