Heat problems?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Bunton Guy, May 8, 2003.

1. Bunton Guy

Bunton Guy LawnSite Bronze Member

Just curious what you guys do to stay healthy in all this heat?
    Today it was near 90 or if not hotter. My body is just starting the long process of getting used to the heat. As usual I drank 144 ounces of water today 1 gallon being water...and I still got heat stress and not to mention tall these small little red dots all over my chest. I worea loose hat to let a little of the heat out and to give my head some fresh air. Still stomething isnt right if im getting heat stress. What do you guys do to fight this high humidity and heat?

2. The Lawn Boy Pro

The Lawn Boy Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

Well, just pretend you want to model REALLY well for a cute chic walkin by :D

3. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

this is how I have solved the heat problem year in and year out....never run the A/C in your house or in your vechile. After a while the heat won't even be a problem for you. You will just get used to it.

4. TotalCareSolutions

TotalCareSolutions LawnSite Senior Member

Bunton,

It is tough for us as well here in GA. The humidity is high and I find that the most stiffling and difficult to work in.

1) Keep the liquids going
    2) Pace yourself
    3) Some guys have mentioned wearing damp towels and the like, I dont know about that in this humidity
    4) A hat? In this humidity. Id wait until the dry, clear, SUN dog days of July, August for the 'brim'.
    5) What is your uniform?
    6) Crank the AC

$) Stay tough and focused, eat right

5. Popsicle

Popsicle LawnSite Member

This works for me...

1. Light colored, long sleeved cotton t-shirts (keep the sun off).
    2. Copious amounts of water.
    3. Straw hat (again to keep the sun off).
    4. No large meals until dinner. I eat small amounts throughout the day.

6. SWD

SWD LawnSite Senior Member

heat is above 100* F with corrected or heat index above that. Being said, I hate it being above 98* with the heat index above about 108*. Humidity sucks!

7. TotalCareSolutions

This may, or may not help with feeling cooler on the job. BUT, it will help feeling better about your utility bills at the end of the Month.

Seems like a torturous routine to me.

8. nelbuts

nelbuts LawnSite Bronze Member
    from SW, FL

Start drinking the night before. No booze. Take frequent breaks.
    Avoid heavy meals. Wear a hat something with a brim all around is better. For instance this is what I ate today... no breakfast, some Combos troughout the day, a can of chicken and rice soup, three slices of cheese and three thin slices of Boars Head Tavern Ham. That's it. However, I have been on a diet and have lost 50 pounds since March 1.

It has been in the low 90's here and of course humid. At 11pm here it is 81 with humidity of 88% and it will be close to that by morning.

9. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I think that most heat problems come from people being used to the A/C in the house, at the office, in the car. So once you step outside of one or above it is a big shock to your system. While by not having the A/C on your body won't go into shock from the big change in heat. Just think, 55 to 60 A/C temperatuere out to 90+ temperatures. Over 30 degree change for your body.

10. TotalCareSolutions

Nelbuts, Boars Head Tavern Ham kicks @ss. Dont know about the not eatin breakfast part.

Tiedman, still seems like a torturous routine. If I hit myself in my little finger repeatedly with a hammer it will eventually go numb and I wont feel a thing.

Im no doctor, and someone will no doubt get on here and bombard me with a plethora of data that proves your point but, until then......it just seems to me the body would be saying: "Your killin me here, at least turn the air on when we get in the truck, to cool me off a bit before the next stop" I dont know....psychologically it might help. But I would think the body needs to cool a bit??

And no air in the house??.....