Heat sink on oil filter

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by A.U.steve, Apr 11, 2002.

1. A.U.steve

A.U.steve LawnSite Member

Has anybody tried this ? l though of this one because of the hot condition the machine has to work under, the heat sink is off a Shurflo 12 volt electric pump, hope the image gets thru ?

2. A.U.steve

3. hubb

hubb LawnSite Member

I've never tried this but Harley riders have been doing it for years. Some hondas have this any way on some of there stock bikes. Just my 2cts worth.

4. Toroguy

Toroguy LawnSite Bronze Member

A.U.steve,

What is that? Does it attach to the oil filter or is it a special oil filter?

If it cools the oil it would seem to be a good idea.

5. hubb

hubb LawnSite Member

6. hubb

hubb LawnSite Member

Just thought I'd narrow it down a little.

What I meant was the one for round filters.

7. Toroguy

Toroguy LawnSite Bronze Member

Good link hubb,

I will feel my oil filter to see how hot it gets, if really hot I will try one of these.

There was a guy on Leno who had driven his Volvo coupe 2 million miles! I like that maintenance mentality.

8. A.U.steve

Toroguy

Its just a heat sink that you can buy as an accessory for the Shurflo 12 volt electric pump used to spray herbicides etc, which just happens to fit either the Baldwin or Briggs filters.
    It gets over 40C here in the summer which is not good for an air cooled engine, it's got to be helping as the fins are as hot as the rocker covers on the engine.

Steve

9. A.U.steve

Good link Hubb looks l am not the first to think of it.

10. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

I bought one of those cool collars from JC Whitney, going to put it on my hyd filter on my ztr, if it works I'll get another for the walk-behind