Heat Tolerance

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by ClippersLC, Jul 26, 2005.

1. ClippersLC

ClippersLC LawnSite Member

Guys I gotta ask, How in the heck do each of you deal with the heat. Normaly it doesnt bother me. But lately i have been having 99+ degree heat with a heat index in the neighbor hood of 110. I keep lots of cool water in the truck, and I try to wear light clothing both in color and material. But still its killing me. What do you guys wear/do to keep cool? thanks in advance.

2. iluvscag

iluvscag LawnSite Senior Member

3 gallons of Ice Water and the A/C in the truck on full blast in between properties. :blob2: Otherwise it's burnin down here. :)

3. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

With temperatures that hot everyone needs to be careful. The thing I learned years ago when I worked around hot steel furnaces is listen to your body. Take extra breaks, drink plenty of water, gatoraide, keep your head cool that means always wear a hat, saok it in water. You want to make sure your still urinating through out the day. If you are getting headaches your not eating and drinking enough water, headaches are one of this first signs of heat exhaustion. If you get overheated, go to the nearest faucet and run cold water on your wrists that will cool your body down fast. Never try to be the tough guy in this heat, take care of yourself.

4. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

stay home, that's what i do. we trimmed today for about 3 hrs. no mas. beer, cold beer, and more cold beer. i aint even goin in the pool, i'm stayin in me casa

5. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

thats the worst thing you can do, alcohol dehydrates the body..... you know better then that bobby.....besides what happened to the week of abstonance....

mow early, stop, mow later in the day.....i stay out of the ac, for me it makes it worse when i get to the next stop....

6. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

i lasted longer than i thought. yup, 2 days. it was strange, i didn't like it. point i'm trying to make is, if it's that dangerously hot, don't work

7. ajlandscaping

ajlandscaping LawnSite Member

that is very hard on the body when you get really hot and you jump in a truck with a/c only to get out again to get hot again and drinking ice water isn't the best either doing those 2 things can lead to a heat stroke. why do you think its not safe when you work in temps around 100 and then go jump in a pool right after its not good for the body with those sudden temp changes

8. Shuter

Shuter LawnSite Bronze Member

Plenty to drink and moderation. No extra jobs are being done right now, only regular mowing.

9. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Read the threads that have been posted the past few weeks .I think there are 3 on heat related .

10. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

i hear ya.... i like my suds too :drinkup:

your right though if its really bad just stay in, or start really early and quit early...