1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

heat tracks

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by RigglePLC, Jul 4, 2007.

1. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

The "clown" called his father-in-law cuz he was mad at us. So the father-in-law (also a customer) called in reporting the same problem...heat tracks. (last treatment was over a month ago). When I got there this morning, I saw "heat tracks" alright, but it was from his 22" mower (not us). Mowing height: 2 1/2 inches. I not only saw wheel marks from his mower, but also "mower burn" from his mower blades. No sign whatsover from any sort of ride-on spreader/sprayer. I tried pushing the soil probe in the ground, but I could not. The soil was like concrete. So I left him a "service call report" of my findings. I also left him an Iowa State University fact sheet regarding "Proper care of lawns during summer months".

Now here's the odd thing....a few hours after I left detailed information on his front door, he called our office & cancelled service. Said he NEVER saw anything on his front door from us. His son-in-law (prison guard) was also a liar, and now I'm seeing the XXX doesn't fall too far from the tree. We heavily rely on land grant university info just for clowns like these guys.

2. Oakleaf landscape

Oakleaf landscape LawnSite Senior Member

How do you like these?
    This picture was taken at a very nice golf course I played this past weekend. Carolina National down near Oak Island. Had this on a few fairways aswell.

heat tracks.jpg
  3. mikesturf

mikesturf LawnSite Senior Member

Small residential lawn, mowing company.

4. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

Dang those are distinct. Leaf blight, or actual mere heat tracks?
    The more I read about heat tracks, the more I want to just shut mowing down middays on days that are 90 degrees plus. Just isn't worth it.
  5. mikesturf

mikesturf LawnSite Senior Member

That picture was from 2 years ago. It looked like that for 4 weeks until we had cooler temps and some good amounts of rain. Home owner would not water.
  6. Greenery

Greenery LawnSite Senior Member

In twelve years of doing this I have seen very few disease, fungus or insect damage, a little red thread or green bug damage but that's about it. I would definitely chalk it up to heat damage, walk in the lawn before you service if the grass isn't springing back up where you stepped then do not mowor treat the lawn until it get's some water. As far as recovery if they start watering most should recover within two weeks. If no water than It's probably gonna be awhile.
    Posted via Mobile Device