Heat treated vs. Non heat treated

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mowerbrad, Mar 15, 2008.

1. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

Which blades are better? Now I have a few more to choose from. These blades will be gators, either a magnum fusion or plain magnum.

2. GTP

GTP LawnSite Member

I didn't know you could get blades that were not heat treated. The only ones I ever saw were on a Southland mower. Heat treated blades are definitely the best option. All blades are generally heat treated to the same spec. Typically mid 40's to 50 on the Rockwell C scale. There are some unheattreated options for edger blades. This is probably worth while because they are just being beat in the dirt anyway.

3. DuallyVette

DuallyVette LawnSite Gold Member

I bought some edger blades that wern't heat treated. They seem to bend and vibrate too easily. no more

4. Texas Mower Parts

Texas Mower Parts LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

All Oregon mower blades are heat treaded. I will go out on a limb and say that all other mower blades are also.

5. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

I talked to one of my dealers today to get a price on gator blades, he had fusion magnums (he said were heat treated) and regular magnums (said were not heat treated). Well it turns out they are fairly expensive there so I ordered the magnums online today from texas mower parts.

6. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Fusion isn't a heat treating.

Fusion blades have been a good experience for me.

7. GTP

GTP LawnSite Member

Yes, fusion is not heat treating. It is an application of a substance to the blade edge that is supposed to remain when the steel gets worn. Doesn't seem to work any better in the sandy soils down south. Heat treating is taking the blades to real high temps and then quenching them at lower temps to change the molecular structure of the steel. This takes the steel from a formable state to a wear-resistant state.