1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

heat wave killing business

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by bradseabridge, Jul 6, 2010.

1. bradseabridge

bradseabridge LawnSite Senior Member

What are you guys on the east coast doing about the heat wave? I've only mowed about 10% MAYBE of my normal yards in the past two weeks, and I keep getting more calls about not coming to mow. It's starting to stress me out, I am sitting around on my hands waiting for something to come up so that I can stay busy and make some money. :cry:
  2. mtc2010

mtc2010 LawnSite Member

Watched Nadal win Wimbledon, watching World Cup and Tour de France...oh, and watching my savings dwindle.
  3. cuttin-to-the-Max

cuttin-to-the-Max LawnSite Bronze Member

Im not on the coast but its burrrnnnniiinnnggg here too! Im in Michigan!
    The grass is burning out and no one is watering it. because they cant afford it :cry:

It was 91* yesterday here! Sucks working in the direct sun all day! All i can say is stay hydrated EVERYBODY!
    Saw a LCO on the news passed out on the machine NOT HYDRATED enough.....:nono:
  4. fastpine

fastpine LawnSite Member

I had a recent bout with sun burn aswell..It scared the S out of me. I cant afford to loose my accounts...

The temps leveled out, and custys watered heavy,,nowthere greening up again...
  5. Coastal Lawn Maintenance

Coastal Lawn Maintenance LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA

offer other services. biggest down fall is only cutting for source of income. i been doing landscape projects. it gets you through the drought.
  6. ajslands

ajslands LawnSite Silver Member

Ya I'm doing a minor landscape job in the 95' and then a major landscape job tommorow.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  7. its vacation time.
  8. hackitdown

hackitdown LawnSite Silver Member

We only cut the green/growing ones. So we are at 50% this week. Not good.
  9. nepatsfan

nepatsfan LawnSite Gold Member

we cut weekly. 90% of lawns we do are irrigated and if they arent.....they get new stripes.
  10. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

I've been on a full schedule so far but I expect that will change this week. I've been raising up my cutting height so hopefully they won't burn out too badly. I'm a little light on the non mowing work now and not about to go out and do hedges anyway, so I'll just chill out and fart around at home. I just added a bed for wifey to plant her pumpkins and watermelons since she's got the usual garden area full already and hit up the hardware store for some fasters to mount my hand tool rack on my truck better. I thought about running down south to the Grandfather Mountain festival this weekend but the trip mobile is in the shop.