Heat

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Got Grass?, Jun 14, 2001.

1. Got Grass?

Got Grass? LawnSite Senior Member

What do you guys do when it just gets to hot?
    Today was the first day over 90 in 2 years and it reached 98 in some parts heat index of 105. extremely humid as well. Drank at least 4 gallons of water in 4hrs. didnt pee once sweated it all out. no air in truck. Cut 3 lawns last one was one push mow and almost colapsed. Decided to call it a early day.
    Do you guys keep working, or put everything off day or so till its a bit cooler? Start earlier, take a few hrs. off round noon, and work later like all the mexicans?

This is only buffalo I cant imagine working down south except there is less humidity.

2. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Here in PA it has been sweltering. You have to chew the air before you breathe it ;)

Obviously you wouldn't like to work with my husband Matt. The more I complain about the heat, the more he makes us keep going. I swear he could be a drill sergeant. I was soaked today from sweat, and I rarely sweat. I hate days like this!

Matt won't let us get behind though if he can help it. So we worked in the heat all day. But I got the last laugh. Matt has heat rash on his legs today from all this heat:) Maybe that will teach him next time to slow down when it's this hot!

3. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

HERE IN THE SOUTH MOST BOYS THAT WORK OUT SIDE LEARN TO PACE THEMSELVES. PLENTY OF FLUIDS.DURING THE HEAT IS NOT THE TIME TO PUSH UNTIL YOU HAVE TO QUIT. I DO SEE SOME YOUNG FELLOWS DOING THAT(my sons)
    BUT YOURE NOT GOING TO BEAT THAT HEAT AND IT WILL SOONER OR LATER GET YOU. LATER

4. gogetter

gogetter Banned

Since your truck doesn't have air, look into one of those fans that plug into the lighter. Mount it to your dash or on the ceiling of the truck.
    Also, as I mentioned in another post recently, freeze a large bottle of water the night before. Whenever you need to, put the bottle on your neck, forehead, wrists, whatever.
    If you can take an hour or two off in the middle of the day to cool yourself down, I say do it. Don't kill yourself. You'l really get backed up if you pass out!!!

5. EROSS17

EROSS17 LawnSite Member

It has been in the 90's here for the past two days also. Who knows what it has been with the humidity, feels like 190. Sucks to be cutting in this heat. God bless air conditioning. But this is what we have chosen.

6. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

7. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

When the heat index gets over 90 you need to pace yourself and drink plenty of water (read water). If you work by yourself as I do you really need to be carefull. Dehydration, heat exhaustion and heat stroke can really sneak up on you and if there's no one there to keep an eye on you you can get into trouble quick.

I drink plety of water and take a 5 minute a/c break in the truck with the windows down between jobs.

8. Volhunter

Volhunter LawnSite Member
    from TN

Got Grass? ....LOL More than enough humidity down here! You must have never been to the South. SW is where it is dry. Just try to pace yourself. Its hard to work in the heat even when you are used to it, but when you are not, I'm sure it can be a killer. Be careful, because it can put you down...permanently.

9. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

It has been in the mid to upper 90's here for the past week too. The heat index today was over 100, so it is hot all over. They were just talking on the news about in 1995 we had a temp of 106 and a heat index of 126 and I remember that day very well since we were out in it working. :(

When you see the temperatures for Chicago, it is usually 10 degrees warmer in the summer out on the edge of Chicago where we are and 10 degrees colder in the winter. The Pond by Chicago really makes a difference in Temps.

10. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

it does tend to get a little warm this time of year .... when it's in the high 80's by 9am you know you in for it ....got the large brim hat ....lots of water ....nice towel to rinse n keep on the neck .....oh ya lots of water .....start early as possible ... n smile at the dust on the push mower ;->