heat

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jcraig, Apr 21, 2011.

1. grincon

grincon LawnSite Member

And a great job you did at that.

2. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

big rim hat like the Magellan Sportswear hat from Academy Sports and a cooler of gatorade and water and sunscreen and sunglass/safety glasses...don't just drink water only .....when it's 95+ outside...you need electrolytes as well to prevent heat stroke and passing out

3. SNAPPER MAN

SNAPPER MAN LawnSite Silver Member

Definatley longsleeves and pants. Wide brim hat or a baseball cap with a bandana hanging under it.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. KINGMADE

KINGMADE LawnSite Member

Not gonna lie. Later this year I will be rocking a cool shirt. If you havent heard of them check em out. http://www.coolshirt.net/ It aint cheap but worth every cool penny.

5. StihlMechanic

StihlMechanic LawnSite Bronze Member

Damn Steven Hawking.

Yeah I also wear a mexican hat, stupid looking but really helps shade my whole body.

6. RLS24

RLS24 LawnSite Bronze Member

doesnt usually get too bad here, worst was last summer the hottest day of the summer I was doing an 8 yard mulch job it was 95 degrees out, left in the middle of the job to go to an apartment fire then came back and finished the job.

I get Gatorade and mix it in 1-gallon water jugs 50/50 with water. My old truck did not have A/C, but the new one does although I prob won't use it. I think its worse for your body to be in and out of the A/C all the time. Gotta hydrate BEFORE exertion too. So that doesnt mean wait til after your fisrt couple lawns to take a drink when you're thirsty. You need to start hydrating from the time you get home the night before.

7. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

i have to run the a/c lol...during the summer it's like 200 degrees inside the truck if i didn't run it lol

8. lukemelo216

lukemelo216 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from ...

last summer I was working for another company (i thought I was going to be selling mine. Kept mine running, and then decided to keep it going.) Anyways our attire was brown duck carhartt pants, and a green coton polo or t-shirt. Plus a hard hat and saftey vest (large commercial site). You just need to drink a lot of water, but also get the electrolytes in you too (gatorade). Lightweight long sleeves help too since it absorbs your sweat and then keeps you cool. Wear a hat, and get a wet towle or bandana and put in on your head over the back of your neck.

We do the same thing with water. Fill up gallon jugs the night before, and freeze them. Then take them out and they thaw out, and if you need too, add a little water to them, but those things can last sometimes almost 2 days. And I also bring about 2 bottles of gatorade to drink at throughout the day. No soda at all, that will just dehydrate you. We do those types of water bottles everynight, but they work wonders in the summer. If your really thirsty, and the ice hasnt melted a ton, at a stop, put it on the ground by a tire, it will melt really fast, but still be cool.