Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by bobcatnj, Jan 18, 2006.
does any use a portable heater in the garage?if so how big of a heater?
I use a 50,000 btu heater, not very big I know, but its enough to take the edge off and I can work in a sweatshirt. I didn't have my building constructed/insulated to heat so I won't go to great lengths to heat it. BTW tis a 30 x 40 x 12 building with a concrete floor so obviously there is no way that little heater will take the edge off the whole thing, I just point it in the general direction I'm working in, so far so good.
Matt has a 55,000 btu heater, and he uses it in a 2 car uninsulated garage. He works in a t-shirt when he is there, and that's with him keeping the door open 4 to 5 inches.
I have a 225000 btu multi fuel heater, and also have a 18000 btu propane. I have'nt used the propane one yet (x-mas gift).But next year I will have my outdoor woodstove pumping heat in there.
I have a 55K btu torpedo heater. I have to leave the thermostat at half or it gets too hot in my garage. I have a 3 car garage. I crack the garage door about an inch and open the window alittle. The fumes can get alittle stinky depending on which way I have it pointed.
I'd like to go to a propane/natural gas set up that hangs from the ceiling. No fumes then.
my dad just installed something like that...its an 80000 btu hot dawg hanging in the corner. man that thing pumps the heat. we cut a hole through the wall of the garage, and ran the exhaust duct out like that. the garage was built last summer so we had the guys run natural gas out there.
it works out pretty slick, but we dont have it on all the time cuz of the stupid nat. gas prices
Be careful with those things in enclosed spaces. You'll go to sleep and never wake up.
I have a exhaust fan in the polebarn also, use it when I weld and if the heater kicks out some smoke.
I made sure when I bought mine that it had an O2 sensor in it. The heater will shut off when it reaches 50% unsafe O2 level. So you have time to turn it off and air out the area before you pass out.