heavier suspension for a 1500

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Kohls Landscaping Co, Jan 20, 2004.

1. Kohls Landscaping Co

Kohls Landscaping Co LawnSite Member

Hey there...

I have a 93 GMC Sierra 1500, 4x4 and have been thinking about ways to beef up the suspension in the back to carry a little more weight and not 'sag' so much. I realize there is a certain amount to carry legally and that stopping is the main issue when moving heavy weight. I guess it's mainly to stop the back of the truck from sagging so much.

I was wondering it it is possible to go to a junk yard and get the leaf springs from a 3500 GMC/Chevy and replace them with the current 1500 leaf springs. Does this sound possible??

Other options were:
    -add a leafs
    -using 'air bags'

Any other suggestions would be appreciated also. Thanks for the help!

2. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

You can probably get the springs from a newer model 1500 HD and put in. You can also get the add-on leafs to put in the existing setup. Heavy duty shocks vs those standard type.
  3. CNE

CNE LawnSite Member

Dave, I am a technician full time at a chevy dealer and run my business part time. You may be able to use 2500 springs but I don't think the 3500's work. The 3500 uses a 1 ton rear end and everything is much larger. Try some helper springs. They make one that mounts on your existing springs and it doesn't change the ride unloaded but as you load it, it gets stiffer the more weight you put on it. I can't remember the name but a guy that works with me put some on his truck for pulling a 34' travel trailer. He said they kept the rear end from sagging. Check with some camping websites and you might find them. Hope this helps
  4. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

I used some bolt in coil helper springs I found at the parts store. Around forty dollars a long time ago. They sat between the axle and the frame. The worked fine on a 65 chevy c10 which has coil sptings in the back.
  5. Eric 1

Eric 1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I went to Auto Zone and got a set of coil helpers for $25 they work great just kinda rough on a gravel road empty.It is a chevy 1500 to.
  6. riches139

riches139 LawnSite Senior Member

7. HandEnterprises

HandEnterprises LawnSite Member

i have a 96 k1500 that i put ciol helpers on and it helped but they creek a lot. i can carry 1200lb of salt no problem. 2400lb if it is loaded all the way forward and dont hit any speed bumps.i found a company that will add three leafs to make it a one ton truck for $375. automotive spring service cols ohio 614-291-9661 tell sid the big balled guy sent you.
  8. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

I put some helper springs on my 95' K1500. I got them fron **** Cipeck (sp). They were rated at 2500 lbs. The truck never sagged after they were installed.
  9. Kohls Landscaping Co

Kohls Landscaping Co LawnSite Member

Thanks for the great help, I appreciate it. I'm gonna look into the suggestions and do something around spring time.

Thanks again!
  10. turf9

turf9 LawnSite Member

I put a set of air shocks on last year they seem to work easy to install not expencive no leaks yet but I keep them at 90 psi . So far it's working out