Heavy Dew ?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mowman, Jun 10, 2001.

1. Mowman

Mowman LawnSite Senior Member

Here in Northwest Ohio the dew has been bad. The grass is not fit to get on till almost noon. Do you guy's/gal's cut when the grass is soaking wet or do you wait for it to dry a bit? I'll cut when it's damp but not soaking wet, or am I all WET? Thanks for your input and advice.
    Mowman

2. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I put double high lifts or a high lift and regular lift on my Choppers and start when the grass is dripping wet. It cuts it just fine without a mess. Don't try this with Gators or it all balls up and leaves a mess and even makes the clippings stick to the deck big time. Gators work best when it's dry.

We just got done with 17 of 20 days of having rain and we have had dew in the mornings since.

3. SLS

SLS LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mars

Hey Eric ELM:

On the subject of double blades...the mounting bracket I saw on your web site...are they available for Lazer Z's too? I have a Ultra-Cut 60".

Do double blades cause the engine and/or belts and spindles to work harder? Do double blades (high lift or otherwise) have any effect on the way the deck stripes a lawn?

Your stripe pics on your website look great and if I could get the stripes that you do even without the chain setup I would be happy!

Thanks for any advice on this. :)

4. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

SLS: Thanks for checking out my website. The bracket you saw I did measure for an exmark member awhile back. If I remember right, it was 3 1/4" across where it holds the top blade or bottom blade. If you have less than 1/2" from the bottom of the spindle shaft to the outer part of the spindle housing, the spindle diameter needs to be less than 3.25". Your blades will also have to be less than 3.25" in width and most are.

Yes, it takes more power to spin double blades, more gas or diesel, but the cut is worth it. I have seen guys double cutting lawns that were not any longer than what I was cutting, right next door and I could easily bet by with one cut with double blades. No, I did not tell them my secret. :)
    I know this company is a lowballer, so I didn't want to give them any advantages. :laugh:

5. CCLC

CCLC LawnSite Senior Member

We are in the same boat here in Michigan. If we waited for the lawns to dry out we'd never get all the lawns mowed. We just pick certain lawns to be the "wet" mows. We just make sure that they are not high profile or high end lawns. We seem to finish everything in a timely manner by doing this. We also try not to do the same lawns "wet" 2 weeks in a row.

6. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

I usually do commercials that have a thinner stand of grass in the am when it is wet. I often wait till noon to start mowing heavy stands of grass on residential properties. I have a bunch of City work that can be mowed wet or dry. It makes good fill-in work for mornings when the dew is heavy.:)

7. lawnboykb

lawnboykb LawnSite Member

commerical
    man we mow in the rain!

8. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

The new grasshopper mid allows us enough air-flow to mow in the rain, I would guess the rest of the newer deeper decks, "advantage" 7-iron, etc aloow the same. I have mowed in the heavy dew & light rain on thin stands with hard soils and it is fine. thicker grass needs more airflow, power, some kind of nonstick spray and high lift doubles if possible. Dave g

9. GreenQuest Lawn

GreenQuest Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

I also have a few each day that can be cut wet. If its going to be wet all day I throw on the Lazer vac.

as to the double blades, I also have a 60" lazer and recently started doubles( by the way its great). At the time my normal high lift blades were very bad, so I threw on double gator blades. Bogged down the mower terrible and cut bad. Since then I have gone with the high lift on bottom and the gator on top. Man what a difference. Seems like the best combo. Cut this morning in wet grass and had no problems.

10. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

hey green, i have a 52" lazer and use doubles everyday. 1 thing you will learn you is can't run them with the bagging system because the mulch the grass up to fine for it to go up the shoot, if you have the ultra vac from exmark. 2 is that if you have the mulching deck from exmark is that the blades from the mulching kit make using gators on top and high lifts on bottom is nothing compared to mulchers on top and high lifts on bottom. that is the best combo. haven't tried the mulching kit with doubles yet but i don't think i'll need it if i get the ocdc.