Heavy Duty 3-Wheel Edger: Need Recommendations

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mowingman, Sep 25, 2001.

1. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

I just got a bid on edging a 10+acre sewage plant site.It has over 6000' of curbs and sidewalks that have not been edged in over a year. I need to buy a really good, heavy duty 3-wheel edger and need some recommendations as to who makes one that is powerful and will hold up well. Thanks.

2. GreenQuest Lawn

GreenQuest Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

3. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

McClane makes an excellent product as well. Especially for the money. This is what John Deere used for years as their edgers. Also, believe it or not, these are available at many Home Depot stores. If you buy at this time of year, you'll probably get a pretty good price, too.

4. HBFOXJr

HBFOXJr LawnSite Bronze Member

Scag had one years ago that I thought was about the best I'd owned. I believe it was made by others or is now made under another name.

Start with a Scag dealer and work down from there.

5. UrbanEarth

UrbanEarth LawnSite Member

I have both a Tanaka shaft drive and a Snapper belt drive. I have to say that I much prefer the Snapper (although I am not fond of other Snapper stuff). I find that the Tanaka is not heavy enough to keep the blades in the ground in a lot of cases, which the Snapper is. The Snapper is very much like the Mclanes.

Alan

6. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I had pretty good luck with a Snapper, myself. Although, I haven't seen one in quite awhile, so I can't even say if they're the same machine they were using before.

7. Toroguy

Toroguy LawnSite Bronze Member

Little Wonder Xtra. Not a two wheeler but worth a look. Edged a 1000' job yesterday and felt fatigue on the wrists, this prop was a mess.

Good luck

8. jdwilliams1

jdwilliams1 LawnSite Member

there is nothing better, shaft drive built like a sherman tank and lasts forever! worth he money

9. Green Care

Green Care LawnSite Senior Member

Mclane, is very good. 3 Wheel

10. carlsmower

carlsmower LawnSite Member

I FEEL THE MCLANE PRODECTS ARE SOME OF THE POOREST QUALITY BUILT, I WOULD GO WITH EITHER THE TANAKA OR THE POWER TRIM, BOTH ARE VERY GOOD EDGERS,THE TANAKA DOES NOT SLIP BUT THE POWER TRIM IS A BIT MORE BALANCED, THE TANAKA HAS A VERY HIGH QUALITY CURB RIDING KIT AVALIABLE.
    GOOD LUCK!