Heavy Duty brushcutter

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by turfman33, Oct 8, 2003.

1. turfman33

turfman33 LawnSite Member

I'm looking for a heavy duty brush-cutter. I went and looked at a job today that had all sorts of weeds and grass up past my knees and some to my thigh. I don't have a tool to do this job. It was a fair bit of cleaning up in this area too. Does anybody use heavy duty brush cutters to do jobs like this. If so, what do you use. What kind of jobs have you cleared with them. I want something that will go through tough jobs like butter.

Thanks

Steve

2. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

Shindaiwa T270 with a blade. I think my blade is 10" wide, maybe more. Butter.

3. msb1766

msb1766 LawnSite Member

one word: Gravely

4. dabmower

dabmower LawnSite Member

bachtoldbro.com they make a walk behind that will cut any thing up to an inch in diameter own one they work great.You can rent one around hear in Missouri at any good rental place.

5. pinnacle

pinnacle LawnSite Senior Member

Mate I do alot of clearing work and I would have to agree with the Nest on Shindaiwa but not the T270.

If you are going to be doing a bit of this sort of thing its best to buy your self a clearing saw.

I run a Shindaiwa C350 on clearing jobs and it eats every thing for breakfast.
    1.8 Hp
    16.8 lbs
    And get your self a wrap round chest harness too.

With this set up you'll be ready to take on some pretty heavy stuff

6. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

If its just grass and weeds any good weed whacker will work. Use a ninga blade, it will even cut small brush the size of your little finger. I use a Stihl FS 85. I use a Beaver Blade for larger brush and small trees.

Gene

7. crawdad

crawdad LawnSite Bronze Member

Yup, a Gravely walkbehind tractor with a 30" deck. Mine has dual wheels, and a 16 Kohler, it'll climb hills that a goat is scared to go up. Of course, then you'll be hooked on Gravelys, and will spend the rest of your life looking for more cool attachments for it.
    Crawdad

8. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

Here is a tool I found for heavy duty brush cutting. Click image for link.

[​IMG]

9. Jimbo

Jimbo LawnSite Bronze Member

I have one that will beat that Shindaiwa C350. Stihl FS250R 2.15HP and only 13.0 lbs. This can also be used as a regular weed eater because its only 1.5lbs heavier than the ever popular FS85.
    If it is only weeds/ grass I would use the polycut head (3 plastic knives), and a place for single piece of heavy string (I recommend .130). If the weeds turn into stickers and brush I would go to one of the steel knives or a combination of the two. Once you cut it a few times it will turn to grass.

Get yourself a Stihl full line catalogue because it has a section which shows you what to use in different conditions...or just ask me as I cut brush and thick weeds all the time. I love it!!!

Jimbo

10. SCAPEASAURUSREX

SCAPEASAURUSREX LawnSite Senior Member

I have used an older style Red max 2300 string trimmer with a brush blade, works great for takin out sticker bush weed stuff and really tall heavy grass and weeds....