1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Heavy Duty Canister Air Filters

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by wareagle, May 25, 2003.

1. wareagle

wareagle LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

How critical is it for an engine to have a heavy duty canister air filter? When making a purchasing decision, it is a necessity, or just a nice extra to have?
  2. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

I wouldn't be without one but then again I work in real dusty conditions in the spring and the fall. The mowers are constantly in dust and the HD filters are absolutely necessary.

If you are just mowing lawn and are in clear air most of the time its a toss up but I believe that they are a necessary addition to keep the engine healthy. A little dirt will score a cylinder real fast.
    I'll always have them.
  3. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

The two biggest and worst enemies of small air cooled engines are heat and dirt.

Anything you can do to lessen the abusive factors of either is a plus.
  4. Imow4u2

Imow4u2 LawnSite Senior Member

The way I see it, cupholders are "a nice add on you can do without" IMO getting a new mower without the big filters and coolers is like buying a new truck with 3 wheels....:cry:
  5. morturf

morturf LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

Where do you find them for Kawasaki 19- 23 hp?
  6. chines63

chines63 LawnSite Member

I would also like to know where to find a good heavy duty filter for my Exmark 21 hp Kawa. If anyone knows as to where to locate, please send message to me at chines63@hotmail.com.
  7. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

for kaw 19-23, you can get them here (Mowed has one on his 15 koh)

CaptDevo sells the HD air kits directly from Kaw, as shown in this post Rumor is that CaptDevo no longer sells equipment, but in his post he has an excel sheet that i would asume you could bring to any Kaw dealer to have them order.
  8. Barkleymut

Barkleymut LawnSite Bronze Member

There has been a ton of discussion about the canister air filters for the Kawi's on the Exmark forum here at Lawnsite. The downside is that for many of the Kawi's you need to get a new carb. The engineair that was linked at the top of this thread is on my want list for this winter.
  9. Planet Landscaping

Planet Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Luv my Nelson hd air cleaner from Capt devo on my 23 kawi,Only had to change jets on mine.Allmost 0 maintanance,compared to every week. Wouldn't be without them. Great investment.
  10. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

There are currently no canister air cleaners available for horizontal shaft Kawasakis unless something changed and I don't know it.

The canister filter craze was started in a large part by Dixie Chopper. Their use of the Donaldson air filter system (an all steel housing by the way) combined with a Turbo Precleaner and the factory Kohler filter made for extremely clean air entering the engine.

I feel that the canister air filter that comes on mowers now is no more than a large air filter without the foam wrap stuck in a cheap plastic housing.

The current setup can be improved so the filter lasts longer by adding a turbo precleaner from Enginaire.