1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

heavy duty springs

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Lasko's Lawn Service, Jul 13, 2008.

1. Lasko's Lawn Service

Lasko's Lawn Service LawnSite Member

I've got a 1500 Chevy and a 5 x10 utility trailer with wood sides. I can throw 4 yards of mulch in the trailer and one in the truck but it makes me a little nervous. Anybody had any experience throwing heavier duty springs on a truck or trailer like this? Would it pay or not? Not willing to move up to a bigger truck at this point...
  2. cush

cush LawnSite Senior Member

try timbrens
  3. dura to the max

dura to the max LawnSite Silver Member
    from georgia

you could also put helper springs on.
  4. seabee1

seabee1 LawnSite Member

timbren would be the easiest way on the truck , depends what length width and leaf count and style double eye slipper , spring on the trailer .then you have to worry about over loading the axle .
  5. Lasko's Lawn Service

Lasko's Lawn Service LawnSite Member

Anybody know how much say a yard of mulch actually weigh?
  6. seabee1

seabee1 LawnSite Member

depends how wet and type ,figure between 600 and 1000 lb's .
  7. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I use Roadmaster springs on my F-150. I put them on about 5 or so years ago and I can't be happier. They're adjustable so you can adjust them to your likeing.

I tried helper springs on my '94 S-10 and while they did the job they jacked the back of the truck way up in the air and made the ride pretty harsh.
  8. 44DCNF

44DCNF LawnSite Bronze Member

Monroe air shocks as another option, will give you adjustability at low cost. I've put heavier springs on front for plowing and it works well but gives a little rougher ride w/o plow of course.
  9. YellowDogSVC

YellowDogSVC LawnSite Gold Member
    from TX

mulch weighs about 500lbs per yard but it depends on type on moisture content
  10. kps2389

kps2389 LawnSite Senior Member

Check out Hellwig helper springs.