Heavy Equipment Security Question

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by travislakerat, Apr 7, 2008.

1. travislakerat

travislakerat LawnSite Member
    from Texas

Hey Everyone.

I am a relative newby and wanted to get your opinion or feedback on what everyone uses to prevent/recover theft. As a new start up I have purchased a skid steer, backhoe, chipper, 25 ft flatbed gooseneck and a 16 foot tandem dual dump trailer. I am all freaked out about getting anything stolen. I essentially borrowed for the whole company on a signature so the machines are mine out right and I don't feel like losing any of the 85k I am into it.

Does everyone insure everything, or only the expensive stuff? I was thinking of insuring the skid steer and the back hoe and possibly putting lojack on the trailers. Any input? My shotgun only works if I'm there..... lol

2. bubbas45

bubbas45 LawnSite Member

3. Digdug

Digdug LawnSite Member

I put insurance on the large stuff and bite the bullet on the small. You never think it will happen to you , but I had a new Cat 257 skid steer track loader stolen from my job a couple of years ago. Thank god i had insurance on it still. They gave me $2500 to rent another one for a month , and paid me everything i wanted for the machine. Worked out good.

I think i would like to put lojack on my new one but havent yet.

4. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

One word: insurance. Other than that, put a night switch on the machines to disconnect battery power, maybe get Lo-Jack, that's about all you can do on the upfitting side of things. Park you equipment in such a way that deters people from stealing it. It's proven that if equipment is lined up at night, it spooks thieves. I read this huge article in Equipment World about 2 years ago regarding theft, they interviewed a guy who used to steal iron for a living and he basically spilled everything. Fake antennas freak thieves out as well, they think there might be some weird tracking system installed. We all know Lo-Jack is hidden, but the antennas sound pretty sweet. Sometimes people are just out to ruin someone's equipment and not even steal it, so Lo-Jack doesn't do you any good if all they want to do is start it up and trash it. It's also important to have both machines on site equipped the same, not just the expensive machine. If they can get one started and not the other, it's possible that they might take one machine and trash the other.

5. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

The biggest problem I have here (other than theft/vandalism) is fuel theft, getting clever with fuel caps and locks is essential, even the best OEM locked caps are easy to rip off.

6. RockSet N' Grade

RockSet N' Grade LawnSite Silver Member

Scag called it a "night switch". I have them installed to disconnect juice. Also have locking fuel caps. Also, if possible, not leave stuff on site even though it may cost a bit more or park 'em real close together under lights. Have insurance too......Probably overkill sometimes, but thievery can put you under if you are not properly prepared for the worst.

7. kreft

kreft LawnSite Bronze Member

We have the skid out on the job know, and we just get to be good friends with all the guards, and why told them to look after the equipment and to pass it on to other guards and my dad came back the following night with the pick-up to fuel up, and the guard came right out and came over to see what was happening. We are lucky have to guards on site, but i know even with guards you can still lose equipment. we put locks on the trailer and the back door, and we put a differnt lock on the front door, so you cant get in with the usually key. will that be enough, hopfully we'll never know.

8. RockSet N' Grade

RockSet N' Grade LawnSite Silver Member

I thought of another idea which I will follow through with for myself. I am going to buy "security stickers" that say lo-jack or something similar and post the on the windows....I know people do that with their homes, why not equipment? Anything that deters.....

9. AWJ Services

AWJ Services LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Ga

Insure everything.The small stuff ads little too your expense insurance wise.
    If they just steal a blower then you eat it, but if they get everything then at least you can get the small stuff replaced as well.

10. Dirt Digger2

Dirt Digger2 LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

some of us can't have guards looking over everything, haha

we put pad locks on everything...fuel, hydraulic tanks, hoods...then the trackloaders and trackhoes have built in locks that work with the machine key. Also on the backhoes we pull the quick disconnect going to the fuel pump then lock the hood closed...

the fact of the matter is thieves will get something they really want so insurance is your fall back