heavy equipment trailers(i.e. skid steers/mini ex) questions

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by deerewashed, Sep 15, 2013.

1. fosters hardscapes

fosters hardscapes LawnSite Member

I really thought about this before buying my 24.9k 20 foot Gator trailer. My 60D is right at 14k pounds and the 332 is 10k. I can in theory put both on the trailer and be legal but I just either do the 60D with a few accessories and both Dingo's and the accessories I need for them for the job or the 332 and all accessories I need. I went with the 20 footer for the maneuverability factor as some subdivisions I work in are rather tight when you are pulling 30 feet behind you. If it was a perfect world and developers would make wider roads and bigger cul de sacs I would have gotten the 30 footer. But it isn't.

2. zabmasonry

zabmasonry LawnSite Senior Member
    from C. VT

I somehow doubt that you will be able to make that setup legal, not saying it can't be done, but that it would be very hard. I think you'll have issues making your rear axle weight on the truck work, perhaps not but probably hard. also consider that your going to be putting your rear truck tires just about to the max. I'll say that here is the flawed rule of thumb that I go by, don't exceed the total rated gvw of the combination (14000+9200 = 23200 in your case) , nor any single axle (as previously stated pay special attention to your rear truck axle).

3. deerewashed

deerewashed LawnSite Senior Member

Mark13 on plowsite has the same exact setup as me and tows a 25k gvw gooseneck behind his 2500hd. he has been well beyond the 30000k total and he runs toyo open country mud terrain.

4. Mark13

Mark13 LawnSite Member

I'd never :rolleyes:

5. trailbuilder

trailbuilder LawnSite Member

I am not sure I understand your math. When you draw a free body diagram of the trailer and towing vehicle, you would have 4 axles/8 points of contact with the earth/ground where weight is transmitted to the earth/ground or DOT scales. Depending on where the trailer payload is located will vary the 8 points of contact. If you transfer weight to the towing vehicle to have tongue weight you are taking weight off the 7K trailer axles and tires. It all needs to be balanced though to be legal and safe.

6. deerewashed

Are you lost? This aint your territory boss.....:nono::rolleyes:

7. Mark13

Mark13 LawnSite Member

PS gets lonely and boring in the summer months. I gotta adventure out a little bit to keep sane. There's some decent picture threads on here to look at, about all I look at here.

8. deerewashed

hahaha i feel yeah, i belong to more forums than most, Between Duramaxforum,duramaxdiesels,dieselplace, gmfullsize, plowsite, lawnsite, fullsizechevy, and many more i can procrastinate and fill my free time like nobodies business. hahaha

This site has some nice picture threads. Hows crazy is it seeing people haul equipment on their equipment trailers instead of round bails???? hahahaha ;):clapping:

9. Mark13

Mark13 LawnSite Member

My trailer sees a fair amount of equipment but also plenty of other stuff that isn't equipment, hay/straw, sheds, building material, scrap, logs, brush,etc.

More or less if it fits on the trailer half way it's coming with.

10. deerewashed

your trailers like the USPS box, "if it fits it ships"