heavy equipment trailers(i.e. skid steers/mini ex) questions

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by deerewashed, Sep 15, 2013.

1. Duffster

Duffster LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Midwest

No it's not. Don't be dumb. Read what's already been posted:hammerhead:

2. Duffster

from Midwest

How so?????

3. dieselss

dieselss LawnSite Bronze Member

I have. And I have been told by ISP that there looking at your door sticker and the trail vin plate if that equals 26001 you had better have a cdl. Plate weighting doesn't really make a big deal
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. Duffster

from Midwest

You clearly have NOT.

So if my F650 (26k GVWR) is towing my skidbob trailer (10K) what class of CDL do I need?

To help you out here are the CMV/CDL classes:

http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regulations/administration/fmcsr/fmcsrruletext.aspx?reg=383.91

5. R & R Yard Designs

R & R Yard Designs LawnSite Senior Member

Class a for any combo over 26001 no matter what state.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. jrs.landscaping

jrs.landscaping LawnSite Silver Member
    from Maine

I'm curios how many guys responding have ever had a dot audit, CSA check or been inspected at a weigh station? Fmcsa says duffster and others who agree are correct, for the guys disagreeing how many of you hold CDL's?
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. Duffster

from Midwest

WRONG. :hammerhead:

8. knox gsl

knox gsl LawnSite Fanatic

Just get a class A and be done with it.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. dieselss

well I will say that all the numbers don't lie. through some research you are correct Duffster
    so I will say that in your examples your right
    now with that being said,,,,you never stated what the vin/door plates read.

I'm curios how many guys responding have ever had a dot audit, CSA check or been inspected at a weigh station? Fmcsa says duffster and others who agree are correct, for the guys disagreeing how many of you hold CDL's?
    my company went through a paper dot audit 2 years ago....they never even looked at one truck. all they were concerned with was paperwork. so to answer that,,,,i have been through a dot audit

10. dieselss

one point I found

One of the most misunderstood parts of the above requirements has to do with trailers with a GVWR in excess of 10,000 pounds when the combined GVWR does not exceed 26,000 pounds. In this case a CDL is NOT required provided you are not placarded for hazardous materials. However individual states may impose a requirement that drivers in their states must have a CDL in this situation so you need to check the requirements in your state. It is also important to note that individual state CDL licensing requirements CAN NOT be applied to drivers from other states.