heavy equipment trailers(i.e. skid steers/mini ex) questions

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by deerewashed, Sep 15, 2013.

1. Duffster

Duffster LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Midwest

Getting a CDL if you don't need one couldn't be dumber.

Yes I did. Not that it matters.
  2. dieselss

dieselss LawnSite Bronze Member

No I guess not.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  3. PlantscapeSolutions

PlantscapeSolutions LawnSite Silver Member

Back to the topic. Bumper pull trailer are horrible for pulling heavy loads. The load can be hard to balance and the truck will handle like crap compared to a gooseneck.

You also need to realize when you hit a bump or the grade changes you can easily shift your weight and overload one side of the axle. A 10K load can easily apply several thousands pounds more with a bump. I wouldn't pull anything that heavy unless you had either a triple 7K gooseneck or a twin 10K goosneck. I have both.

Even with a triple 7K gooseneck your would need ramps with built in legs to support the weight while loading or you would need to put jack stands under the trailer while loading. Loading heavy equipment can put the entire load on the rear axle and compromise it pretty easily.

I wouldn't worry about over loading the rear axle as much with 10K dually axles. My trailer is rated for 25K but it holds 30K-32K with ease. At 34K it's maxed out. With $3,800 upgraded hydraulic over electric brakes it will stop with ease.

I'm not sure if there is a reason your not considering a gooseneck but for safety it's really the only way to go with a heavy piece of equipment. At least here in Austin, Texas if you got stopped they will most likely look at what the GCWR is. They will not take the time to use a scale or portable scale unless your rig balance looks out of whack.

Airbags are a great weight to keep your rig from sagging and improve the handling. I have a CDL and have been stopped at roadside checkpoints multiple times with no issues. The weights and measures police look under the hood and up under the truck and don't even notice all the emissions equipment is missing.
  4. hosejockey2002

hosejockey2002 LawnSite Bronze Member

Bingo!! The regs that most of us have been quoting are national CDL regs, states can always impose more restrictive guidelines.