heavy freeze burnt everything

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by jd75760, Apr 10, 2007.

1. jd75760

jd75760 LawnSite Member

after a couple of weeks of 70's the temp took a plunge and got down in the 20's about 4 nights in a row. Everything got burnt very bad. The leaves on the trees are black and all the new growth on the shrubbery is black. My question is what to do with burnt growth on the shrubbery. Is it better to go ahead and trim them or just leave them alone? Thanks

2. VO Landscape Design

VO Landscape Design LawnSite Senior Member

we were discussing that in class today. let it fall naturally was the overall conclusion.
    VO

3. tjsquickcuts

tjsquickcuts LawnSite Senior Member
    from Atlanta

I agree....once everything falls, trim them during the next time you see new growth beginning...

4. jd75760

jd75760 LawnSite Member

Thanks for the replys. I have never had everything burn this bad before, but I did learn along time ago not to even consider planting any type of flowers or other delicate plants untill after Easter. I used to have customers who allways wanted flowers planted at the first warm spell, while it was tempting to start planting because of the $$$, I had to talk them into waiting untill atleast mid April here in Tennessee before planting anything except pansies. Hopefully mother nature will heel everything and get everything back on track.