heavy truck

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by texas, Feb 15, 2006.

1. texas

texas LawnSite Member

planning to haul a 20*7 trailer. should i get ford f250 or chevy 2500hd? 4x2 or 4x4? gas or diesel? is diesel worth the xtra 5000 plus filters, oil, higher fuel prices? :confused:

2. qualitylawnmanagement

qualitylawnmanagement LawnSite Bronze Member

Are you buying new? If i were you I would go buy a new g m c 3500hd pick up.

3. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

I would go with a 3500 SRW its has more "Legal Payload" what really matters to the DOT is what is printed on the door post.

As for gas or diesel I prolly would say go with the Duramax you definatly don't want the 8.1 litre big block it will drain your wallet faster than your wife or girlfriend will.

4. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

Both are good trucks. get whichever one is cheaper and/or from the best dealer. Just test drive them both.

Definately get the diesel. A lot more fun to drive, a lot more power, will pull your trailer better and burn less fuel doing it, sounds better and lasts longer with less maintenance.

5. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

Doesnt matter if its a ford or chevy or dodge. All have thier problems, but the best part is their all american car companys. However, I am still bias towards chevy.

But I would get a 4x2 because you wont be plowing, and depending on how many miles you will put on your truck will depend on if you get a gas or diesel. My rule of thumb is that if you put over 35-40k miles on your truck per year, get a diesel.

6. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

Get a 2500HD they have an awsome Power train, and the Interior is First Class. If your are towing a heavy trailer atleast get the Big Block with the Allison. I think I would prefer the diesel. Although I have a 2500HD with the 6.0 which is a great motor with Tons of Power

7. texas

texas LawnSite Member

what you mean theres no snow plowin in south eastern texas????!!!!!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :)

8. zim bob the landscaper

zim bob the landscaper LawnSite Bronze Member

get a chevy 2500 or a 2500HD or the 3500HD IMO there really nice trucks and look the best.

9. qualitylawnmanagement

qualitylawnmanagement LawnSite Bronze Member

What zim said, 2500hd or even the 3500hd that's what I'm planning on going too.

10. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Neither, get a dodge 2500 w/ HO cummins...:cool: