Heavy weed killing, your way of doing it

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by firedude26, Jul 26, 2007.

1. firedude26

firedude26 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Mich

It depends on how high they are, if they are high and thick i will mow or whip then spray with roundup. Someone else told me that would not work properly. but he couldn't really explain why to me, so this is my question:

how do you guys kill off heavy weeded areas?

thanks in advance...........................

2. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

If they're thick, I'll knock them down, rake them up & spray the rest. Otherwise, I spray it & pull the next week if absolutely necessary.

3. ArizPestWeed

ArizPestWeed LawnSite Bronze Member

Oh My God , you 2 are backwards .

Y'all have to joking .

I am sure others here will fall for y'all joke and respond

4. ampeg76

ampeg76 LawnSite Senior Member

if your going to chemically treat for them, don't mow or cut them down before spraying, you want to make sure the herbicide fully transposes

5. firedude26

firedude26 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Mich

It was just a question to be answered by others, no need for smartass comments.

6. ArizPestWeed

ArizPestWeed LawnSite Bronze Member

I am sorry..........really

7. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I kind of see what these are saying...And that is more along the lines of what I was thinking. If I have weeds that are 3 to 4 ft. tall, I am going to knock them down first, before spraying them. It takes alot less product then. Two things,...First,you can't take them down too low...some foliage has to be left to spray. On some weeds, this means cutting high enough to have some leaves and not just empty stems sticking up. The second thing, it was like was mentioned before, the op has to be cleaned. Raking is not my favorite option for this, it would be more like double cutting - with drying in between if necessary. as long as the top isn't so covered that it stops spray coverage.

8. mverick

mverick LawnSite Senior Member

With roundup. It is absorbed through the leaves down the stem and into the roots to kill the plant. No leaves, no way in. Also, it's safe for pets. As if they lick it they won't die.

Worked for Monsanto/Solutia/Astaris. Makers of Roundup.

9. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

firedude26,

The main thing to keep in mind when using any herbicides is to make sure the plant is actively growing and not injured when applying.

If you have wacked or mowed a plant then you have injured the plant and intake of the herbicide may be reduced for a period of time.

Here are two ways you can approach your situation:

1) Mow or wack...then wait 1-2 days (this can depend of growing conditions ie drought, temp, rainfall etc.) for regrowth and time for the plant to becomee actively growing again.

2) Don't mow...but make sure you use a lethal dose for the size of the plant and then mow 3-4 days later. This is more then enough time for the herbicide to translocate to the roots (actually Monsanto has shown it takes less then 24 hours).

I personallly always cut then wait a couple days and spray.