Heck of a Year...

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by txirrigation, Dec 12, 2011.

1. txirrigation

txirrigation LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

Well, it is that time of the year where I shut-r-down for 3 weeks. I have always done this to prepare for next Feburary. I turn off the phones, and let the contractors I work for know that it had better be a good dang reason to call me.

I set up some "moonlighting" jobs for my guys so that they still have some income also.

All outstanding invoices have been paid. I dont owe anyone anything. All equipment has been serviced/winterized. New equipment purchases have been made from other companies going belly up. Business bank account has the money to kick start advert, start-up trucks/equip, 2 months payroll, and the shtf back up.

Anyone else do this? If not... what drugs are you on to stay sane?

2. GreenLight

GreenLight LawnSite Senior Member

I realized sanity was a very lofty goal, so I lowered the bar to functional.

3. txirrigation

txirrigation LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

haha that is good... I will have to remember that.

4. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

Exactly! Amen to that!
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. bcg

bcg LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tx

I usually shut down the entire month of Dec but this year has been too busy to do that. I'm not really complaining, it beats the alternative but I need the downtime. I'm going to go bird hunting in Kansas Thu - Mon, finish up some stuff for big money clients the first part of next week and then I'm shutting it down until at least Jan 2. Jan is historically the slowest month of the year so hopefully I'll be able to stretch that date some.

6. Tomorrow's worries ruin today's peace.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

You TX guys know nothing about year end shut downs :) I absolutely LOVE taking 3-4 MONTHS off in the winter. I'm still lagging on getting my paperwork finished for the year. But I know that sales are pretty much the same as last year, down less than 2%. But that's not bad considering I did not work in the field July 15 to October 5, due to knee surgery. I would like to find a few expenses to spend some money on. I may buy some year end tools, remotes, supplies, same as every year.

8. Did I hear remotes?
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. jvanvliet

jvanvliet LawnSite Gold Member

Still running full bore. No down time here really, in fact it's our busy season. Hope to take a week off between Christmas & New Year

10. txgrassguy

txgrassguy LawnSite Gold Member

Dana, one of the things I miss about being a g.c. super in the N.E. was the predictable cycle. 50+ hr weeks for seven months then maybe 25 max throughout the week for three.
    Get the equipment set-up for the next season, take a trip, relax then watch the snow melt.

Right now I am so close to simply tossing the whole bag of self employment turds into the garbage can it isn't funny. I am simply in a holding pattern waiting for the buyout to finish then let the new owners handle all of the crap.

Oh, and I gave up being functional some time ago. Right now I'd settle for having the attention span to get three hours of decent work done in one day.