Hedge bed removal

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Landscaping-newb, Mar 17, 2010.

1. Landscaping-newb

Landscaping-newb LawnSite Member

I recently purchased a home back in November which sits on a corner lot. The previous owner had planted run of boxwood hedges that cover the entire front perimeter of the yard. I would guess there are probably close to 40-50 total hedges. Due to some neglect and poor maintenance of the previous owner the look of his design is pretty nasty.
    So, I am going to be removing every hedge and filling the entire area with grass seed. I am not a landscaping professional and this is my first home. Common sense tells me to remove the hedges, weeds, roots and rocks first and conserving as much soil from the hedges as possible. Second, preparing the existing soil by hand raking, tilling, etc. Throwing a thin layer of new top soil in, adding seed, cover seed with another layer of top soil, rolling the area or atleast making sure it's level, covering with hay, and then watering 3-4 times a day. I also read that I should use a starter fertilizer as well, but I wasnt sure when to apply.
    If there are any experienced landscapers in here that could share some wisdom, I would greatly appreciate it! Thanks a bunch!

2. cozymonkey

cozymonkey LawnSite Member

I would use sod instead of seed. Just my opinion

3. EastCoast

EastCoast LawnSite Senior Member

The removal of the hedges, especially the roots will be your biggest challenge.

Make sure you remove as much of the roots as possible to insure the grass will have a good area to grow. If the seed/sod doesn't have the ability to dig it's roots in deep enough it won't survive your summer, depending on where you live.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. gardiner

gardiner LawnSite Member

you can put a ad on craiglist (free hedges u dig them up )
    will cut back on your labor .

5. Landscaping-newb

I thought about using sod, but after asking a bunch of people I learned to stay away from it if possible (diseases, weeds, etc). The removal, so far, hasn't been too bad. Yesterday my wife and I were able to dig and remove about a 1/3 of them in a few hours while getting almost all the root out of each. There is also quite a bit of clover growth throughout the bed as well which has adding the pain of the whole thing. I am hoping once I get all the hedges/roots/weeds removed the existing soil will be good enough to start planting seed. I am hoping to conserve as much soil as possible to limit the expense on new top soil. I do understand a quality fresh coating of new soil is mandatory, but considering the existing lawn is in really good shape, the soil must be pretty good.
    Any additional comments regarding the actual process of planting the grass would be appreciated. Thanks for the replys so far!

6. cozymonkey

cozymonkey LawnSite Member

if you are getting dieseases and weeds in your sod, probably should find another sod company. I have never had any issues with sod. Plus with the price at about $.23 a square foot and you get instant grass. Good luck with your seed let us know how it goes.

7. Landscaping-newb

I actually know a builder in the area and will ask him of any reputable landscaping companies in the area (canton, OH) that he would suggest for sod. Another question I have is how do you go about matching your type of grass, whether its seed or sod?

8. Landscaping-newb

I just came across another thought. One side of my house has no landscaping at all, just grass. I wonder if I would be able to use a straight rectangular shovel and scrape out some sod from there and patch up as much as possible in the front were the hedges are being removed. I would then run a line of the hedges along the side of my house. Would there be a high likelihood of that grass surviving if I were to basically strip some patches of sod and move it to the front?

9. bigslick7878

bigslick7878 LawnSite Senior Member

It is much easier to buy the sod instead of trying to dig it up yourself. But if you want a good workout knock yourself out.

As to the hedges....rent an excavator, there is no way you are digging them out any other way.

10. Landscaping-newb

Well, we got all the hedges pulled yesterday. Final count.....78 of those damn things!!!!! Next step is to get the pulled areas filled and leveled. Anyone have any tips or suggested tools to make sure the soil is compacted enough to where I wont have any settling down the road? So far I was able to spread the remaining top soil to fill the holes but noticed when I walked over a spot it was a little soft. Thanks!