Hedge clippers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jasonp, Oct 10, 2000.

1. jasonp

jasonp LawnSite Member
    from Alabama

Just would like to get some imput on different brands of hedge clippers whats the best in weight and virbration to. I was thinking of just getting an double sided echo 20 inch or something around that size. All my EQ is echo and i havnt had any trouble out of them yet but i have heard some bad things about the echo bp blower,i have just the handheld because just starting out this year. What better why of finding out a question just ask about 300 people. Man I love this site.
  2. Northwest

Northwest LawnSite Member

I have a Stihl 40 inch single side. I have only had it for a year but no problems. Why the single side? It felt better balanced because one hand is on each side of the engine. The 40 inch lets you trim without bending over or getting a ladder the majority of the time and makes most cuts in one pass. Drawbacks, it is a little heavy on big jobs. My 2 cents.
  3. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

I use the echo 1500 series. runs real good but they finally need sharpening after several years of use.

my unit was available ar home depot for around $379. I bought mine as a return product for $50.

all things considered, it's the most proffitable piece of equipment I own.

BUSHMASTER LawnSite Senior Member

in addtion to my extended hedge trimmers Sthil of coure..
    the hs 80 has a very nice feature.....the handel swivels comes in handy all the time i have not had any problems with it.equipt with a 28" and double sided blades ..it was a great choice .
  5. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

I too had a pair Echo 1500. I paid about $230 for them in 1994 and used them until last year. They weren't the greatest in the world, but they were lightweight.
  6. gorrell

gorrell LawnSite Senior Member

I've got a redmax 30" single sided trimmer. Don't use it a lot, but it has very nice balance and not too heavy.
  7. dhicks

dhicks Member

I rented a Stihl angle hedge trimmer yesterday for a customers property that had hedges up and beyond the windows. The Stihl was a dream come true. I even used it to trim the smaller stuff. I gots to gets me one.

8. Chuck Sinclair

Chuck Sinclair LawnSite Senior Member

Same one i bought 3 weeks ago and i could not have made a better choice.
  9. powerreel

powerreel Banned

Felco hand pruners work best. Tell your customers that they need to spend $1500 a month min. if they want good bushes they really need to be done by hand- hedge trimmers don't and can't do a perfect job. If you're doing commercial it doesn't matter, do estates and it does.For commercial sites I do I use the ECHO SHC line works great, just tape up where the third hand is supposed to hold when starting.

[Edited by powerreel on 10-11-2000 at 12:05 AM]
  10. Cutter1

Cutter1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I have the echo 1500. I have three pairs of them, I like them. Very reliable and light weight. I tried the Stihl trimmers too. I like them a lot, my nexy pair will probably be Stihl.