1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Hedge Pruner Sharping

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by BillyRgn, Jun 20, 2008.

1. BillyRgn

BillyRgn LawnSite Member

does anyone sharpen there hedge prunners on there own, if so, what do you sharpen them with ?
  2. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

3. MowerMedic77

MowerMedic77 LawnSite Bronze Member

I use this air die grinder with a thin 3M cut off wheel

This is a new Cornwell grinder less then a month old, my old MAC grinder died but did last about 8 years of commercial shop use.

I do not remove the blades from any units just separate enough to get between and follow the original edge.

4. vgshopboss

vgshopboss LawnSite Member

1/4" Die grinder with carbide grinding burrs. Have also used a Dremel cordless with their little tiny grinding stones in a pinch, but you will burn up a LOT of Dremel bits.

The better question is, how do you teach your pruning crews that a hedge trimmer and a chainsaw are NOT the same tool.
  5. jkason

jkason LawnSite Senior Member

Have them buy a new piece of equipment when they break it, or give them manually-powered tools.
  6. CT18fireman

CT18fireman LawnSite Senior Member

I use a 4.5" grinder with a regular wheel. Leanred from an old guy at an equipment shop and been doing it that way for years. Real quick, about 3 seconds on each edge as you work through.